betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #21 
taralovesanimals

ok thank you. It is a mini kritter keeper
taralovesanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do you have the gallon jug or something you could measure out with? It would be really bad if you just sort of guessed and threw salt in. That certainly won't help her at all.

Can you give me the dimensions of the tank so I can maybe find out how much it actually holds in water?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #23 
taralovesanimals

(9.13"L x 6" x 6.63"H) Could I use a measuring cup to measure one gallon then add the salt?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sure, I'd measure it in a separate container though, one that you could keep the salt/water mixture for tomorrow as well, I calculated your tank and it's a 1.5 gallon critter keeper which is a bit easier. But right now you're probably not even using a fourth of it lol.

So measure out 16 cups which is 1 gallon, in a separate container/jug/jar/whatever and mix up the 2 teaspoons of salt in there. After it's mixed and you've added your water conditioner then you can pour some of it into her critter keeper and then put her back in.

However when you put her back in, please don't just plop her in, the salt will shock her system if you do! And I'm sure you don't want that lol

So to acclimate her (make sure the water is also the same temp as her current water) when she's in her cup with her old water, float that cup in the new water.
Every 10-15 minutes add in about 1 tablespoon of new salt water to her cup so she can slowly get used to the salt. You'll have to do this for a bout an hour for the first transition from fresh to salt water.

After you do this the first time and when you do it the second time you won't have to wait the whole hour because she'll be used to the salt water. But you still need to do that for about 20-30 minutes and because she is old, use precaution otherwise bad things might happen. Also if you can get a heater in there with her and set it to 80 that would be best. They are tropical fish and need tropical temperatures and just like older humans, old fish need special care too. So a steady temperature will do wonders for her :)

And you could probably fill the keeper a little less than halfway so half a gallon then, for her. If you have, you can put some fake plants in there with her so she can sit close to the surface to breathe when she needs to. It will be a lot less stressful on her then.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #25 
taralovesanimals

ok I will do that. Will she be able to breather. It seems like she can't even swim up to the top at the level she is at now
Old 05-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If she still has the will to fight she will swim to the top, however if you feel like it should be lower than that then go right ahead, just make sure she's got enough room to properly swim around if she does happen to perk up.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #27 
taralovesanimals

Ok. Thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate it very much.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You are very welcome! If anything else comes up or just want to talk, feel free to private message me I'm pretty much always on in these days so I'll be a quick answer ^^