Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Filter Baffles! The greatest invention for Betta's since...i don't know lol

Here's a link for a water bottle baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

And one for a sponge baffle!: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100
That one doesn't give a step by step, but it's pretty self explanatory and if you read the comments you can get some good info there too! :D

I actually bought most of my plants from the internet, I'm not certain about sites that ship to Canada since I'm in the US, maybe MattsBettas can help with that?

But I also go to my Local shops to buy plants. I have bought plants from chain stores like Petco/petsmart but I'm pretty sure you guys don't have them up there, right? Either way, I get my live plants from anywhere and everywhere, I'm not exactly picky lol

Also when you do a new tank with lots of plants you don't have to worry about the Nitrogen cycle! Well...it still happens but the thing is that the plants basically act as a buffer between the harmful levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and make it safe for your fish ;-D That's how I start up all my new tanks which is a lot easier than doing a Fishless or a Fish-In cycle and worrying about it for a month or so. With the planted way you're doing what's called a Silent Cycle, it should have been called a Ninja Cycle instead haha.

Oh also back to filters, generally you want a filter that is rated higher than your tank, so if you have a 10 gallon, you should get something that's rated for 20 gallons so it can handle more fish. Not that you'll need more fish, but it's always better because it gives more space for Beneficial Bacteria to grow on. That kind of Bacteria is good and that's the stuff you're trying to grow during a Cycle. They are what keep your fish safe :)

I actually don't really recommend getting a full kit, I mean you can if you really want to, but I ended up customizing my entire thing. Threw out the filter, gave the hood away and picked up a different heater lol So the only thing left from my 10 gallon kit is the actual tank XD So that's just something to consider is all :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #12 
eden000

Thank you! I didn't know that such a thing as a baffle existed! I did a quick search, and I found an aquarium specialty shop 20 minutes away from the college I go to! Thanks for the filter and tank tips, lilnaugrim!

Because it'll probably be hard to move in 3 months with a fully planted tank, I think I'm just going to keep Sev in my 1 gal tank with twice weeks water changes for now, and then I'll get a 10 gal and plant and partition it when I move back to school in September. I'll definitely refer back to these tips when I do, though!
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Certainly! I love sharing things that I've learned along the way ^^

Actually traveling with a 10 gallon isn't soooo bad lol there are plenty of college kids on here that do travel with their tanks. I've been thankful enough I'm a commuter so all my tanks stay at home :) But just make sure your college will accept you having a 10 gallon when the time comes, I know many keep a restrictions on pets and whatnot :)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #14 
eden000

Thankfully, I'm going to have my own house :) No rules! I go to school in a different city than where I live, so keeping tanks at home isn't an option

Also, how did you get an image under your username beside where you post?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh sweet, that's awesome you get your own house :D A few of my friends and I were looking into renting a house about 4 minutes from school but I only live 20 minutes and it just seemed silly to do that. But we were all going to have our fish tanks and stuff haha.

And for an avatar click on "User CP" and there's a list of stuff on the left side of the screen, click on "Edit Avatar" and you'll have to upload an image to set it as your avatar.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #16 
eden000

Old 05-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I sort of have one, my 10 gallon is split into three lol three is enough for a frat, I've already got my sorority so it's all good XD

It's funny you mention that because I'm actually in a co-ed Music Fraternity, we have a sibling sorority who is also co-ed, but I liked the brothers better although now I do love my sisters :D thought I'd share ;-D
Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #18 
eden000

That's so cool! We don't really have frats or sororities in Canada, but it seems cool. I have a friend who goes to college in Rhode Island - maybe you know her! :) In any case, it's nice to "meet" you!! ^^
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden000 View Post
That's so cool! We don't really have frats or sororities in Canada, but it seems cool. I have a friend who goes to college in Rhode Island - maybe you know her! :) In any case, it's nice to "meet" you!! ^^
Oooh maybe I do! It is a small state! I got to URI so if she goes to RIC, PC, Brown, Salve or CCRI then I probably won't know her lol

Great to meet you as well! If you've ever got questions or whatever feel free to PM me at any time!