Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #11 
weapondrift

So you think that the milky white shrimp are in fact the fallen carcasses? I just feel bad that the remaining animals are quite literally living in a corpse ladden tank lol.
weapondrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #12 
peachii

It's a possibility. I'd leave them for 3 or 4 days and see if they revive just to be sure.

My betta Princess George didn't like the shrimp i put in his tank, it looked like a pink curled up shrimp cocktail so i knew it was dead for sure.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #13 
weapondrift

If they come back to life...two things for certain will happen: 1) I will be VERY afraid of sleeping anywhere near my tank and 2) I will never eat shrimp again! I might also start to worship them...but that is pending lol
Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #14 
RussellTheShihTzu

Roflmao!!!!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu

After that, had to post separately.

Does boiling get rid of suphur smell? I seem to remember when we lived in Green Cove Springs, FL, that Mom either boiled or put the water in the fridge. Been a longggggggggggg time ago (54 years to be exact).

I believe you can use distilled if you add minerals, etc., back into the water. Seachem makes chemicals and there's a product called RO right. You might do a little research into that or maybe someone on here could help if you start a new thread on distilled water and asked that question.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...uilibrium.html
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #16 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapondrift View Post
If they come back to life...two things for certain will happen: 1) I will be VERY afraid of sleeping anywhere near my tank and 2) I will never eat shrimp again! I might also start to worship them...but that is pending lol
This is pretty much how i felt, although I love shrimp to much to never eat them again but I won't eat any that don't come from a freezer :P

That experience changed my opinion on not liking ghost shrimp to being fascinated with them and actually caring if they were a snack or not.

I am utterly and completely in love with my Red Cherry shrimp tank and a newly found love for snails. Currently trying to baby proof my one 10 gallon and letting my assassin snails hopefully successfully breed like crazy.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #17 
weapondrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
After that, had to post separately.

Does boiling get rid of suphur smell? I seem to remember when we lived in Green Cove Springs, FL, that Mom either boiled or put the water in the fridge. Been a longggggggggggg time ago (54 years to be exact).

I believe you can use distilled if you add minerals, etc., back into the water. Seachem makes chemicals and there's a product called RO right. You might do a little research into that or maybe someone on here could help if you start a new thread on distilled water and asked that question.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...uilibrium.html
Boiling sometimes does...however its the hydrogen sulfide in the water that causes the smell. It can be cured my epsom salt in the filter however I am leary about adding any of this type of water to my fishtank. Also, I am really aprehensive about taking a shower in boiling water...altho I do like hot showers I do have a threshold lol

Last edited by weapondrift; 05-26-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #18 
weapondrift

Update* so all of the milky white shrimp have curled into balls (like you would typically find when you think of shrimp). One of the famales died sometime this afternoon and I found a male I thought was dead lying on his back (for lack of better terms) "flailing" his arms next to an already dead (milky white) shrimp. I really felt bad so I removed the dead shrimp the ones I could find.

I still havent bought a Ph kit yet simply because of time. Tomorrow I hope to tho. The three guppies seem to be doing well tho and the remaining females are lonely. Since I am actually on this topic I know some of you are familiar with breeding Bettas but do you have any knowledge of breeding ghost shrimp? Altho I may be getting ahead of myself.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #19 
weapondrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapondrift View Post
Update* so all of the milky white shrimp have curled into balls (like you would typically find when you think of shrimp). One of the famales died sometime this afternoon and I found a male I thought was dead lying on his back (for lack of better terms) "flailing" his arms next to an already dead (milky white) shrimp. I really felt bad so I removed the dead shrimp the ones I could find.

I still havent bought a Ph kit yet simply because of time. Tomorrow I hope to tho. The three guppies seem to be doing well tho and the remaining females are lonely. Since I am actually on this topic I know some of you are familiar with breeding Bettas but do you have any knowledge of breeding ghost shrimp? Altho I may be getting ahead of myself.
Update* Stay tuned I'm going to get my water tested tomorrow. Out of all of my shrimp....I have two pregnant shrimp and one is lying on her back about to die. Gah this makes me sound like a horrible parent :(
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #20 
weapondrift

Final update (I hope)

So today I took my water into the pet store and after ogling over the cutest ferret (i currently own two) I let them test my water. The only thing wrong with my water is that the ammonia level was just a little bit high and by that I mean it was literally a little bit to high. They suggested that I might have the Ick (Ich) but I havent seen any spots on my fish and my tank is not cloudy at all. So idk... any thoughts?