Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #11 
BakaMandy

): Okay yeah... if he had to think about it like that, he's a dumb **** (pardon my French :P). ~_~ Ugh... seems so arrogant... resist urge to rage.

lol I try and never ask sales associates for help. I'd rather teach myself than listen to some uppity person who thinks they know it all and yet actually know nothing of use. :/
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #12 
BearFish96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
): Okay yeah... if he had to think about it like that, he's a dumb **** (pardon my French :P). ~_~ Ugh... seems so arrogant... resist urge to rage.

lol I try and never ask sales associates for help. I'd rather teach myself than listen to some uppity person who thinks they know it all and yet actually know nothing of use. :/
I know. The thing is though, I know that the only bad thing in that store is him. All of the staff (besides him lol) are actually very nice and if you have a problem or something wrong that you need help with they sort it out quick. All of the fish tanks are clean. The goldfish tanks are of course full of goldfish, but they are not packed in there like sardines in a can like most stores do. They live in a 50 gallon tank and there's about 60 in there with little algae eaters sucking the floor lol. It actually seems like they have too little fish in some tanks xD. The only thing they have wrong is the constant thing that affects pet stores worldwide: THE BETTAS ARE PUT IN TINY PLASTIC CUPS. But when you see it you don't think "How could anyone DO that?!" you actually kind of think "I understand". The reason is they have about 25 bettas and they obviously cant put them all in one giant tank. They also cant just buy 25 seperate tanks because A) that would cost WAY too much money (not being cheap here it's true) and B) they have no more room. But you can tell they are trying. For example, the cups they are in are actually big enough for them to stretch thier fins in and they have enough room to actually swim around. You can see the effect this has on the bettas: most of them are lively and energetic and zipping around their space.

So yeah, it's a pretty good store :D (despite what my signature says lol)

Last edited by BearFish96; 07-19-2009 at 12:52 AM.
BearFish96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #13 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFish96 View Post

"Betta fish will instantly kill any other fish that comes in their tank including Neon Tetras. You cannot put any other fish in a betta tank."

"Neon Tetras need to be heated to 75-80 degrees, and that is terrible for your Betta fish."

"Even if you get some plants for Neon Tetras to hide in, that will do nothing. The betta fish will still swim in and eat the fish."

Obviously, I bought the fish anyway. The guy said that it was animal cruelty if I was just going to buy fish so other fish could kill them, and gave me a dirty look as I left the store. I told him "No offense, but I think you should research betta fish some more." He told me that he was a 'fish expert' and that he knew what he was talking about.

I feel sad for all the fish under his care.
1. Bettas are very territorial fish and will attack intruders...if they're bettas. Neons have been eaten by many bettas in the past so those two might not be the best combonation BUT bettas THRIVE in a large tank with small peaceful fish.

2. 75-80 degrees Farenhiet is the temp range for tropical fish and last time I checked bettas are tropical fish.

3. In a large planted tank the neons will be able to hide and the betta probably wouldn't care as long as the neon didn't do anything to him.

If I were to meet this guy I'd be like "You're giving people the wrong info" and when he starts telling me he's the 'fish expert' I'd be like "I breed these fish so who knows more?" .

Geez petstores should have their employees know as much as possible about the animals they want to care for or they get fired >:[
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #14 
BearFish96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
1. Bettas are very territorial fish and will attack intruders...if they're bettas. Neons have been eaten by many bettas in the past so those two might not be the best combonation BUT bettas THRIVE in a large tank with small peaceful fish.

2. 75-80 degrees Farenhiet is the temp range for tropical fish and last time I checked bettas are tropical fish.

3. In a large planted tank the neons will be able to hide and the betta probably wouldn't care as long as the neon didn't do anything to him.

If I were to meet this guy I'd be like "You're giving people the wrong info" and when he starts telling me he's the 'fish expert' I'd be like "I breed these fish so who knows more?" .

Geez petstores should have their employees know as much as possible about the animals they want to care for or they get fired >:[

And since then. there have been no employees in pet stores.
BearFish96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #15 
AlfaTheBeta

I had the girl at the checkout counter at a petco tell me that the average lifespan of a betta was 6 months to a year. she was lucky she was cute, because i wanted to wring her neck. instead i kindly told her she was wrong.
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Petsmart manager told me that the little cups the bettas are in will cycle (the building up of beneficial bacteria) just like tanks do. I don't think so!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote