Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #1 
BearFish96

Neon Tetras and Bettas

Hi, I was wondering if Neon Tetras would go well together with Bettas. I've seen alot of videos on youtube with bettas and tetras in one tank but i'm still kind of in the middle about it. What do you think?
BearFish96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #2 
Starbright

It really depends on the betta, tank size, and amount of hiding spaces. My female betta murdered my neons ;_; if you have a 10 gallon with plenty of cover, they should be fine. Just watch out just in case there's nipping or killing :)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #3 
ThePearlFish

I have "Jumbo" Neon Tetras with my Betta, but I think It totally depends on the Betta's personality and space and so forth as said above. I purposefully got the Jumbo variety of the neons, cus I figured if they are a tad bigger the Betta might not see them as much of a snack, and my tetras all adore my Betta and follow him around like he's some kinda king. But I got lucky. It's all up to the Betta.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #4 
BearFish96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
It really depends on the betta, tank size, and amount of hiding spaces. My female betta murdered my neons ;_; if you have a 10 gallon with plenty of cover, they should be fine. Just watch out just in case there's nipping or killing :)

Yeah I have a 10 gallon with plastic plants for them to hide in. I also have a castle that looks decorative but it actually has a small opening which is too small for a betta but perfect size for a Neon Tetra
Old 07-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #5 
BearFish96

Alright, well my test worked good! I put 2 neon tetras in my betta tank and they are doing fine. The betta fish seems kind of confused that there are other fish here lol.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #6 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
I have "Jumbo" Neon Tetras with my Betta, but I think It totally depends on the Betta's personality and space and so forth as said above. I purposefully got the Jumbo variety of the neons, cus I figured if they are a tad bigger the Betta might not see them as much of a snack, and my tetras all adore my Betta and follow him around like he's some kinda king. But I got lucky. It's all up to the Betta.

~TPF

The jumbo neons are called Cardinals ;) I kept them in my 55 planted. Betta's and neons are a mixed bag, some times it works, some times it does not.

As mentioned you will either get neons nipping betta fins, betta killing neons, or all goes fine.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #7 
xRacheLx

I personally DO NOT recommend it. The neon tetras I got from Petco killed my betta with neon tetra disease. And tetras are WAY to fragile.
xRacheLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #8 
Red Betta

I would try it, there are things that can go wrong, but i am sure they can co exist.
It has worked for me
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

It really depends on the personality of the betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #10 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjar View Post
The jumbo neons are called Cardinals ;) I kept them in my 55 planted. Betta's and neons are a mixed bag, some times it works, some times it does not.

As mentioned you will either get neons nipping betta fins, betta killing neons, or all goes fine.
Ahh, the things you learn every day!

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote