Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #11 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Miria View Post
Hmm, it looks very nice and actually sounds like a great idea but a lot of these plants are in an EXTREMELY delicate state and I can't afford to rearrange my tank right now. My Red Lotus is currently rooting pretty deeply and I am doing my BEST not to disturb it (that Red Lotus fries my nerves every day). My Ulvaceus keeps uprooting, my razor swords seem like they are on the brink of life or death and my java ferns are finally starting to grow new petals that are not dead. I feel like every time I water change it puts more stress on the plants. Definitely not my betta though she comes right up to the siphon -_-

Is there no other way to help lower my PH and will Otto's absolutely not survive in 7.8 ish ph?
Don't worry about uprooting your current plants - I would plant around them. :) Some easy, basic ones that I have in my tank:
- elodea/anacharis
- ambulia
- milfoil
- ludwigia repens
- lacefern
- willow hygrophilia
- bolbitus
- wisteria
- vallisneria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Miria View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I do not know my hardness but I can lower the PH with an additive. I'm moving soon to Colorado and I know the water is a LOT softer there. That's quite a tank you have there! You have to remember this is my first tank and first planted tank so I've learned a lot and still am, but I'd love to stock it with more plant life. What plants do you suggest to help add hiding spots? I really like just about everything in you're tank. I also noticed you have a white and red betta in there. I thought you were supposed to get female bettas of the same color?

When you say a tub of tank water are you telling me to get some water from the aquarium, put it in a tub and let it sit? I have a friend who is BIG into aquariums, he has a few 100+g tanks. I'll ask him for some plants, algae, etc. I'm sure he can help me out =)

I'm pretty sure I'll try out the betta sorority. Buying a 10g tank isn't going to be so bad and if the females all get along, I've always wanted a really nice male CT.
If you're moving soon, then definitely hold off buying new fish til you get to Colorado. The softer water will mean a lower pH, which both the bettas and the otos will enjoy. It's not that they'll die in harder water, but they will probably have a shorter lifespan and won't thrive. The hardness effects their osmoregulation - PM the member Hallyx if you want a fantastic explanation of why pH and hardness are very important. She knows heaps on the topic, and it's definitely worth knowing. :) Russell is totally correct on the pH additives - temporary fixes that can be more trouble than they are worth, in the long run.

As for the different colour bettas, you can have whatever colour you please. I have a red HMPK, a black HMPK, a blue longfin DT and that copper dragon (looks white in the photo). Colour and tail-type are irrelevant - bettas can tell the other fish is a betta, but won't care what colour it is. :) They used to have a red longfin and a white dragon VT as well. However, as you may have heard, it does help if you can get sisters or related females used to living together. If not, it doesn't make things impossible, but sisters may smooth the path.

By tub, any plastic container will do, even a Chinese food container, as long as it's clean. :) Basically just a clear receptacle that can hold some rocks and a bit of water from your tank. A glass jar would do just as well. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #12 
Phantom Miria

Thanks for the plant list! I'll definitely look into some of those and start stocking my tank up a little more. From what I've ready Ottos have an extreme appetite so I will definitely need more plants.

I am planning on moving in around a month and a half so its not immediately soon. I will take the time to start stocking my tank with plant life. Unfortunately, according to this map;
http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...ater_guide.htm
The water hardness around Colorado is around the same here. I obviously can't afford a water softening system, and although driftwood is a good temporary fix, I've read its pH lowering abilities are limited and eventually die off. So it looks like my only option is to buy already softened water.

As for being able to pair differently colored betta's I'm glad to hear that! I'll try to keep other females that will be in the sorority in the same family. Thanks for the algae advice I'll start growing it asap.

edit; I read this post; http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...ned-water.html
which says using softened water can actually be more harmful to the fish

Last edited by Phantom Miria; 05-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Phantom Miria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #13 
RussellTheShihTzu

When I was worried about my GH, I was advised to use half tap and half distilled water; however, I decided plants and critters would have to get used to my parameters:

ph 7.8
GH 9
KH 9
0 copper, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates

Everyone is doing great. They're all eating and active (well, not the plants). I just had to do a major trim on my Cabomba, Anachris and Amazon Sword because they were blocking the light.

Plants: Cabomba, crypts, red root floaters, swords, anubis, anachris, banana plants, Java moss, golden loydiella, pennywort, dwarf onion, anchor moss, dwarf hair grass and some I'm sure I've forgotten.

Critters: Betta, dwarf shrimp, assassin snails, dwarf orange crayfish and thai micro crabs. To be fair, CPO and TMC are new arrivals but the others have been in these parameters for three or four months and the plants longer.

I really wouldn't worry; it'll stress you out.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-25-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Forgot something....again. sigh
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #14 
Bombalurina

The fishlore thread is discussing water softeners for water that humans use. The best thing to use for fish (though it is damn pricey) is an RO (reverse osmosis) unit.

Wh colour is Colorado? :p I don't know which states are where in the US.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #15 
Phantom Miria

Well I won't be able to afford an RO system lol. CO is around blue, which is the same color as AZ, at least the part I live in.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #16 
Phantom Miria

I think I'm going to end up buying a 10g aquarium which would fit nicely on my wine cooler. I'll use it for cycling in the female bettas if they get agressive or quarantining them if necessary. If all goes well and the sorority works out, I'll end up putting a male ct in there probably.

What exactly is the best way to quarantine new livestock before putting them into the 20g?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

That's not so bad. It's at the upper end of ideal, like the pH, but within their range. A bit of driftwood and IAL certainly wouldn't hurt, of course. :)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #18 
Phantom Miria

Yeah I think I might add some driftwood as well, its not a permanent fix but it will help lower the PH and look nice. I may be at the higher end of the spectrum for tolerable PH, but just like Russell, my betta has never been happier and is doing great as well as the snails. I think the water I use is fine. If anything I need more plants and livestock, I think the snails are keeping the tank super clean because there is barely enough plants around for the to clean up. It would not be able to sustain any otto's right now I don't think, as I've read they eat a LOT.