Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #1 
Yuuki

Help with a case of Velvet?

Already made a thread on this, making another for a slightly different issue; same fish though.

My little one has had Velvet for about 10-11 days now. Treated with Coppersafe for a week with no improvement. Last night, I moved him to another tank with Quick Cure (Formalin and Malachite Green), because the Coppersafe seemed to be stressing him out. Today, I wake up and find bits of red... stuff at the bottom of his tank; they are tiny, flat bits. Could this be the Velvet falling off? Or, I hope not, but could it be his scales falling off?

I sucked out all of that stuff, whatever it may have been. Poked at it, and it easily dissolved away in my fingers. Anyone around here ever seen this before?

The stuff is still falling off of him... so I'm going to try and get a picture next time I get some of it out.
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuki View Post
Already made a thread on this, making another for a slightly different issue; same fish though.

My little one has had Velvet for about 10-11 days now. Treated with Coppersafe for a week with no improvement. Last night, I moved him to another tank with Quick Cure (Formalin and Malachite Green), because the Coppersafe seemed to be stressing him out. Today, I wake up and find bits of red... stuff at the bottom of his tank; they are tiny, flat bits. Could this be the Velvet falling off? Or, I hope not, but could it be his scales falling off?

I sucked out all of that stuff, whatever it may have been. Poked at it, and it easily dissolved away in my fingers. Anyone around here ever seen this before?

The stuff is still falling off of him... so I'm going to try and get a picture next time I get some of it out.
These are the dead parasites. You should remove them ASAP if you don't they turn into more parasites and reinfect your fish. I would reccomend Jungle Ick Guard (helps with velvet too) to help get rid of it faster.

One more thing: Velvet and fin rot sometimes work together. Once I had a male get velvet and about two days later fin rot. so just watch him carefully.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #3 
Yuuki

He actually did get a case of fin rot just shortly after the Velvet showed up; and I added Maracyn-2 to his water for that. Seems to have cleared it up.

I was considering Jungle Ick Guard a few days ago... and I'll definately try it if the Quick Cure doesn't clear it out within a couple of days.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #4 
Yuuki

Ugh, I finally found a fish store fairly close to me today. They looked at him and said it looks like Velvet, but also looks like he's getting a fungal infection as well. Gave me something called Hikari Betta Revive and told me to try it. It's mostly Malachite Green and Methylene Blue.

Oddly, whatever was falling off of him isn't falling off anymore. But he clearly still has Velvet. And last night, he did nothing but lay on his side on the bottom of the tank, but today he seems normal. O-o;

Anyone ever used this "Betta Revive" stuff before?

Last edited by Yuuki; 07-21-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #5 
neenjar

Never used it or heard of it. I use aquarisol, salt baths, and 82 degree tank water for velvet. You may want to order some online to have in your fishy medicine cabinet going forward.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #6 
Yuuki

I'm scared of the Aquarisol. It's just another copper based medicine, which I've already used, and all it did was stress my fish out. He seems a good bit happier since I removed the Coppersafe. Seemed like it was causing him to become bloated and constipated.

Already changed his water now and put this new stuff in. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure of what my fish has anymore, so I'm trying this out, because it's supposed to work for multiple issues. I'll try this for a bit, and if it doesn't work.... off to find something else to use.

Used Coppersafe, Maracyn-2 and Quick Cure so far.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #7 
neenjar

If he was stressed by the copper than best not to use it. It is toxic with long term exposure so that makes sense. If he seems happy and is more energetic then keep doing what your doing. Just like people, each fish reacts differently to treatments :)
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I think Faith of bettatalk uses Aquarisol since she began breeding (about 10 years ago) and it's always in her water. I personally don't use it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think she adds a drop in every gallon jar.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #10 
Yuuki

I've heard of people using it as a preventative, but I have to think it's bad for the fish to have Copper constantly in their water.

But eh.... I've seen good things about treating with malachite green and methylene blue, so I'll try this out for at least a few days, unless he starts getting worse. I've got my eye on Jungle's "Velvet Guard" medicine now.