Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #1 
addersblack

Question Filing Sharp Edges on Resin Decorations?

I went window shopping today for a cave for my tank: something for a fish to hid behind or in and feel safe.

I saw a few that I thought would work until I ran my hand along the inside of the openings. They were way too rough on my skin. I don't want to hazard a delicate fin.

The only label they had on them was "resin" which is uninformative.

My question is:

Do these unfinished edges come off with a little elbow grease and sand paper? If I file the interior edges down, will they stay tank-safe? Or are they coated with a tank-safe exterior that I would be taking off of something that might leach?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you care to share on the matter.
addersblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #2 
Rana

I sanded down the sharp points on my resin decorations without any problems; I'm pretty sure resin is inert. They sanded down really easily too, just make sure you rinse off the dust before putting it in your tank.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #3 
Skyr

Having worked with resin in another hobby, I warn you should be wearing a respirator/mask n95 rating for sanding. Any particles you breath in will stay in your lungs, and it can be very harmful to breath. Rinse any dust off the ornament thoroughly.. I think I need to do so for one of my ornaments, but I still need to pick up some sand paper and new masks.
Skyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #4 
Polkadot

Whever I buy decorations I feel all over them & if any part is pointy or sharp I just file them down,they file away really easily and become nice & smooth.I've done this with pretty much every decoration & they are fine.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 
addersblack

Thanks, everyone. I will file down anything that needs filing.

Skyr: Thanks for that advice. I found a 3M sanding respirator for a few bucks, so if and when I decide on a resin piece I can sand it safely. It's another expense, but I can keep it in the tool kit for another time. I have sensitive lungs, so it is probably a really good idea to have it in general.

My heater and thermometer arrive tomorrow and after I see that they work and the filter works, I'll decide what the tank environment will be: plants, substrate, decor. Exciting.

Thanks again.
addersblack is offline   Reply With Quote