Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #1 
Milofishy

Need a bit of help...

My male Betta, Milo, was acting lethargic a while back, so I cut down on his food. That seemed to help for a bit, but now he's just sitting at the bottom of the tank under his treasure chest again. This morning when I turned his light on I noticed an area in his chest was swollen.

picture of where I'm talking about, since I'm unfamiliar with fish anatomy.
That's an old picture. He's in a six gallon tank with filtration, and I cleaned it using white vinegar - rinsed VERY well - two or three weeks ago. I need to change some his water, but I was hoping to do so after he was moved back into my room. He's currently in my mother's room because my carpet was cleaned and he had to go out.

So I'm wondering if it could be stress, overfeeding, or an infection. Milo has lasted longer than any betta I've ever had, and I'd like him to stay around for a while yet. My last betta had a similar condition and died, so I'm kind of worried about my fishbaby.

And if it's significant, the white in his fins has progressed halfway up. It's the only white spots on him, so I don't think it's ich.

And there's one live plant growing in a piece of wood from Petco, along with the numerous snails that came with it. The temperature is in the high seventies usually. it's an Eclipse six gallon tank. It receives very little sunlight but the light is on during the day and off at night. The last water change was when I cleaned his tank totally - I know, a while ago. bad fish owner, bad - and he's fed five to six pieces of pellet food a day. I don't remember the name, but it comes in this little plastic dispenser attached to the cardboard backing. I poured it into a medicine cup for ease. I don't test my water because I don't have a kit.

Thank you ♥

Last edited by Milofishy; 07-20-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Milofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Okay, sounds like you might have a constipated fish. I would cut WAY back on the pellets. He should get around 2-3 pellets a day and fast him one day a week. It also sounds like you need a heater. The temp. needs to stay around 78-80 degrees and it needs to be consistent. If it doesn't then you need a heater.
That is as far as I can help you. Good luck! :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, he could be constipated. Like Angelic Scars said, try fasting him for a few days. Daphnia is good for constipation.I feed my fish 2 pellets twice a day and fast them one day a week.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #4 
Milofishy

That simple? Yay ^^

Thank you ♥♥
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #5 
neenjar

Change his water more frequently. Do 25% with a gravel vacuum at least one a week.

Do you have a heater in the tank? Stable temps are ideal as well in the 76-80 degree range. I keep my tanks at 78.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #6 
Ajsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I feed my fish 2 pellets twice a day and fast them one day a week.
How big are these pallets? Or what brand do you feed? I now have 3 betta's under my care with damaged fins, and I feed them with Atison bettafood...
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine Hikari Betta bio gold. The pellets aren't too big. I also feed mine freeze dried brine shrimp, bloodworms and daphnia. Freeze dried food should be rehydrated before feeding to prevent constipation and digestive problems.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #8 
Ajsim

Thanks!
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome! :)
Old 07-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #10 
Milofishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjar View Post
Change his water more frequently. Do 25% with a gravel vacuum at least one a week.

Do you have a heater in the tank? Stable temps are ideal as well in the 76-80 degree range. I keep my tanks at 78.
I don't have a gravel vacuum unfortunately :/ I usually do change his water about once a week - I'm changing about 25 - 30% tomorrow afternoon.

No heater, but the temperature is rather stable in the high seventies.