Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #1 
doggyhog

Question Grrr, so picky!!!

Well, I have two Bettas that will not even touch pellets. My other two literally jump out of the water when they see the pellets! I have FD bloodworms, but I know I shouldn't be giving these more then twice a week. But, Pax and Rune will NOT touch anything else. I'm hatching brine shrimp right now, but I've read they can cause constipation if feed too often, and I don't want more SBD! I've had enough of that will Pax. So, what should I do? I might be able to get my hands on some Guppy fry or something like that... IDK, anything for my guys.

Thanks!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would try a different brand of pellets. I went through that with Blue Bonnet. She wouldn't touch the bio gold, then I got her micro pellets and she ate them but then I decided to try BettaMin flakes. She ate that but its very messy and she let a lot of it go to the bottom. So THEN I bought some Wardley pellets. She gobbled them up! After a few weeks, I mixed them with the bio gold. She eats whatever I feed her now!! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #3 
neenjar

I'd go with what DQ said, try a different pellet. Also if the refuse pellet fast them a day and try again, if still refused, fast another day, they will get the idea eventually.

I wish I had that problem. now that the bottom of Zeus' tank is spotless thanks to the shrimp I bought some tetramin tropical crisps today to feed to the shrimp. I dropped 2 pellets in and when he went for a pellet I dropped the flake in on the other side. Just 3 flakes for 6 shrimp. He spit out his pellet and had devoured all 3 flakes before they hit the bottom, at east they broke up and the shrimp get something, then went back for his pellets, they were gone before I got back with the scoop to remove them. he does not get breakfast tomorrow, maybe even an extra fast day this week. I may have to remove him daily, feed him in the cup he came in, feed the shrimp, then re add him.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #4 
TaraHanon

I had the same issue with my betta. Then I found Tetra Betta flakes and he loved them! I think I ended up buying 4-5 different kinds of food before I found one he would eat.... Now he decided that he was going to eat the tropical flakes that he came with....

You'll find something I'm sure.
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #5 
BettaLover4Ever

Betta's are PICKY. I hae gone through so many foods to finally end up with the one I started him on. Hkari is his FAVE. Good luck!
BettaLover4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #6 
doggyhog

!! You guys are awesome! I've always had two kinds of pellets. One is hikari. and the other, well, I thought it was too big for them to eat. But, I crushed them and then they LOVE them!! WHoo!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #7 
neenjar

Neither of my betta are picky, they are both little piggys. I tried tetramin tropical crisps on Ares this morning, and again devoured before they hit the tank floor. And that's not even betta specific food. i will not make habit of them for him, but am pretty sure I will have to cup Zeus so the shrimp do nto starve now.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote