Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Planning New Set ups... Advice?

In July, I'm moving to another town over. In the fall, I'm going to college. I'm allowed to bring fish with me, which is exciting, but the dorm room only has a limit of 10 gallons. My roommate wants Mollies and Platys, but we can't put three bettas, a school of Mollies, and a school of Platys in one 10 gallon tank.

I decided that I would only bring a 5 gallon with me, so she could bring one as well. However, I can't fit 3 bettas in one 5 gallon, and I really don't even feel comfortable housing 2 bettas in one 5 gallon.

I have a bunch of tanks, but the only ones that are filtered are my 5 gallon hex, standard 5 gallon, and standard 10 gallon. The standard 5 gallon is coming with me, with my 25 watt heater, and it's going to house my male betta, Patriot. He's an older boy, and he's developing cataracts, I believe. I want to baby him and make sure he's okay, so I definitely don't want to leave him home. My 10 gallon is going to stay at home, with my 100 watt heater, and it's going to house my female betta, Tina. She'll have the entire tank all to herself, plus one zebra nerite snail. Or two, depending on if I want to bring one with me or not. I might, but I'm not sure. My other betta, Baby Norman, is still a baby. My best friend who loves fish about as much as I do is willing to take him from me. I'm going to give her my 5 gallon hex tank, so all she needs to buy is a heater for him.

I'm sad to be giving him up, but at the same time, I feel like I'm too attached to Patriot and Tina to give either of them away. I've only had Norman for about two months, and he was a bit of an impulse buy. Tina and Patriot were planned and I picked them out because they just stood out to me. I only picked Norman because I saw the babies and thought that I could give them a good home, so I should get one. But that was before I found out that there was a 10 gallon limit per room, not person. I was planning on putting all three in the divided 10 gallon. :(

What do you guys think about my plans? Tina should be fine. She will be fed and get light, and she'll have plenty of decorations to hide in. I think I'll be taking all of my live plants with me to college, just so I can monitor them and not be afraid of them dying and killing her with ammonia spikes. I have enough fake plants to make up for the live ones not being there. The tank is cycled and it would be nice to be able to not have to tear down the tank for a second time, when I could just leave it up and running in my new house after we move. It would also be easier to transport a 5 gallon in between semesters than have to transport a 10 gallon. Plus, if I leave my 10 gallon running, when I come home on vacations but don't bring my tank, I can have a dividable tank that I can put Patriot in.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #2 
bettacrazygirl86

My friend may actually be taking the baby soon... I told her that as soon as she can get a heater and water conditioner for him, she can have him. Once she takes him, I might move my boy into the 5 gallon right away, to get that established. What do you guys think?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote