Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #11 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Unfortunately, your former betta is probably going to die in a backroom now. Pet stores doesn't really have the ability to treat SBD properly. I work in a big box chain pet store, so I know. They treat with AQ salt, which encourages fluid retention. It's more of a corporate culture thing than a store by store choice. It def sounds like a mild case of SBD, which needs to be treated with Epsom salt. Something not really on hand at pet stores. In fact, AQ salt is the only treatment available for sick fish at my store (no antibiotics either, even though we sell them all). I've just been buying the sick fish at our store and bringing them home for treatment. That way they at least have a shot. Just an FYI, that way in the future you might be more inclined to try to treat yourself.
It's not like I had intentions of not wanting the fish because it was sick. It just had weird symptoms of I dont know what and I didn't want to treat it for something it didn't have. When I went to exchange the fish, I know the manager of the aquatics section very well and he has a lot of betta fish at home and he tends to take the sick ones home so I have good faith that he took the Halfoon Double Tail Plakat home and treated it.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyWolf View Post
It's not like I had intentions of not wanting the fish because it was sick. It just had weird symptoms of I dont know what and I didn't want to treat it for something it didn't have. When I went to exchange the fish, I know the manager of the aquatics section very well and he has a lot of betta fish at home and he tends to take the sick ones home so I have good faith that he took the Halfoon Double Tail Plakat home and treated it.
That's great if he did. I just didn't want you to think that in most situations he would get the proper care. If you know the animal care manager (he should manage all the animals, not just aquatics) then you probably know what he'll do and the care he can give. But, if you went to a store that you didn't know the people... he'd probably not be treated correctly and likely die as a result. Not from a lack of caring by the employees, but because a lack of knowledge to treat disease (this is a huge problem) and a lack of access to most treatments.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #13 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
That's great if he did. I just didn't want you to think that in most situations he would get the proper care. If you know the animal care manager (he should manage all the animals, not just aquatics) then you probably know what he'll do and the care he can give. But, if you went to a store that you didn't know the people... he'd probably not be treated correctly and likely die as a result. Not from a lack of caring by the employees, but because a lack of knowledge to treat disease (this is a huge problem) and a lack of access to most treatments.
He takes care of all the fish in general. I know him fairly well and we converse every time I go. He takes REALLY good care of the betta fish and actually changes the water in the cups they get sold in if he sees that they are dirty. I rarely see dead betta fish anymore since he became manager of aquatics section. This Petco takes great care in their animals and fish and their store and staff show that they care as well minus the one or two employees that look like they hate being there.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote