Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #11 
AngelicScars

Sounds like you are trying to make a Sorority tank. Usually, you need about 4-5 + females to balance out the pecking order and that they aren't getting beaten up badly.
Less then that can cause problems. Sororities are not easy to make, so good luck and don't feel bad if it fails.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #12 
RoseyD

Yes, I'm trying to build a sorority. For the first time I've ever had fish - am I try something difficult. (figures.)

Currently, the three in the tank - pearl, ruby and sapphire are all getting along well. They're pretty evenly matched - same size - and they are all whipping around the tank zigzagging each other.

Ideally, I'd like to put Baby in there with them, but knowing that she's more than half an inch smaller - I'm afraid that she'll be considered to easy to pick on, and I don't want to see her stressed out. Baby is a true red color - and may develop the more difficult temperment - but thus far, her lack of size has made her the more easy going of fish when it came to dropping in other under-dogs to share the tank with her. The underdogs would leave her alone for at least a few days so that they could get over being picked on, and heal up their fins - before they'd begin nipping at her. Hence she's now alone in her 5 gal. - I do need to do something with Topaz though.

I can't leave her in a 2 gal unfiltered bowl forever. - I'm wondering how fast the others will grow, and if I'll be able to eventually 'add' her back into the 20 gal. when they're more evenly 'sized'.

But it will probably be more likely that Baby will suit the 20 gal. better than Topaz ever will. And mayhaps it will only be a month or so before I can introduce Baby to the 20 gal. and move Topaz into the 5 gal...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #13 
RoseyD

truthfully, I would love to add a pair of honey gouramis, and maybe a dwarf blue eventually to this mix too... but this may be pushing things...
Old 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #14 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyD View Post
truthfully, I would love to add a pair of honey gouramis, and maybe a dwarf blue eventually to this mix too... but this may be pushing things...
Wow, just a bit Betta and Gourami do not get along well, often gourami do not get along well with themselves. I had 2 dwarf blues once and one killed the other.

If you want non bottom dweller tank mates I would look to mollies or platy's for best chance of success in a sorority.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Gouramis are territorial like bettas are.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #16 
RoseyD

yes. that's what I keep reading. I feel like I need to really consider what will go in there though mainly because it is currently designed as a low tech tank. no pumped CO2 and at least for right now no filter. the only circulation is coming from the fish.

now I've read that this could be done. but @
I fear putting to many non laborynth (sorry about the spelling) fish in a High 20 g. without airstone ... which would hurt my plants...

are there other labrynth breathers who are smallish ... under 3 inches... and not territorial?

ps... I've read that the honeys are shy and peaceful ... but then here that gouramis are territorial... how can there be so much mixed info? I have to admit that I am cycling a 12 g. that could take the gouramis if the 20 g didnt work out. ... isnt it best to attempt while they are all still juveniles? or does that not matter?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #17 
Angelmonster

I did a sorority tank and it was a disaster. If ONE Betta looks like it is sick isolate ALL of them! It seems like any disease Bettas can get spreads incredibly fast!

1)the bigger the tank the better. The more females the better. You need to have 6-9 females in there! The reason is that they will create a pecking order and not just one of them will be the one ebing picked on! With only 4-5 they will probably all pick on the smallest!

2) Buy a filter! You do not need airation in the water, the plants will be fine instead of the airation stone. The filter is very helpful though, even in a planted tank. I woudl defeniely suggest getting one!

3) Buy an isolation tank or keep your 2 gallon bowel handy. If one gets too fiesty take it out, nin the beginning, for a day or two to calm it down.

4) You can put non-labrynth fish in there. Go for mollies or cories(cories th ebest in my opinion).
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #18 
RoseyD

I put topaz back in there again last night, and so far she's behaving nicely. She really didn't like her '2 gal. time out'... :)

Yes, I've been keeping all 3 of the 2 gal. tanks set up, just in case there's issues with a chemical spike, or what-not - never mind as time-out containers for the any bullies...

I have a duetto 100 that is running with a duetto 50 on my eclipse 12. Since the eclipse filter was too 'strong' of a current for my bettas - I decided to switch down to a lower powered filter - and in running them both on the same tank, I'm hoping that it will cycle both the filters simultaneously - to make it easier to switch that duetto 100 filter onto the planted 20 later, once I know that the substrate is sufficiently settled.

The 12 gal. had been a one night holding cell to some crayfish that my neighbor's grandkid brought home with him from a local pond. Which did wonders for raising the ammonia levels on that tank to feed the bacteria that's really slow to grow in that tank. I also brought in some water taken from a friend's well-cycled tank to add in there to help along the process.

When oH when will that tank be cycled... mid week two - and still 0 nitrite level and low ammonia levels...

It's hard to be a 'new' fish person, for sure!

Anyway - back to betta sorority - 4 girls now in the tank, and one more to be added when she grows a bit more... I was also researching today about platies. The 'hi-fins' variety are really pretty... but I wonder how the fins will effect my girls...
Old 07-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #19 
neenjar

You can slow down the eclipse filter, not via it of course.

Get some regualr filter sponge and cut it down to where you can slide a piece snugly into the filter inlet. That slow's it down some, then you use a piece of 2 liter bottle as a diffuser on the outlet.

I run Penguin 100's on my 5.5 gallon with betta in them. Penguin 100 is for 10-15 gallon tanks and they are fine with it once I slowed the current.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #20 
RoseyD

I visited skiptons last night and brought home 3 albino cories and a golden apple snail for the planted tank. the cories are crazy, swimming everywhere at super speeds. I at first was worried because the betta girls were a bit to close to them when they first entered the tank... but they cant keep up even if they try. I added in Baby too... thinkink that with all the activity in there they wont have interest to terrorize her.

they were all behaving well last night. the snail was busy for a few hours... I shifted the ornaments around and a wealth of mostly plant debris floated out in the process. next time I checked the snail was kcocked on its back on one of the plants. I went in to turn her over and she either was too afraid of me to attach to the rock... or something in the tank killed it. Im checking all chemistry this am and water changing. but the fish seem healthy and happy.