Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #1 
Kiara1125

What fish do you have with your bettas?

I'm just randomly curious. With my bettas, I keep the fish together depending on personality and attitude. I had a male betta who loved flashy guppies and would swim around in a school with them. Anyways, these are my current tanks.

1g bowl, 2.5g [divided], and 10g [divided]
RCS and snails

20gL community [in total]
3 female bettas
3 fancy goldfish [fantail, ryukin, and lionhead]
10 platies
5 kuhli loaches [2 black, 3 banded]
3 black phantom tetras
1 female german blue ram
1 longfin zebra danio
1 white cloud mountain minnow
1 rubberlip pleco
RCS
snails

I used to have a male dwarf gourami in there. Everyone is living happily and there is no fighting. My goldfish love hanging out with community fish, hence why I put them in there. They may not be together in the wild, but both tanks stay the same temperature no matter what, so why not put them together? My goldfish have never been happier.

NOTE: I have found no problem with these species living together [although it will change fish by fish]. These fish have been living together for 3 years now without a problem.

Other fish I've had success with:
otocinclus
corydoras
guppies
mollies
swordtails
dojo loaches

Last edited by Kiara1125; 05-28-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #2 
Canis

My relatively peaceful betta lives in a 10 gallon with 4 common/endlers guppies and an apple snail.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Kiara, a lot of your fish have very different water requirements in terms of pH and hardness. Whilst problems may not be obvious, it wil effect your fish. Just a tip. :)

I have 12 Endlers, 4 female bettas, a female BN pleco, 4 cories, 6 kuhlis and three fundolopanchax killi fish in my NPT 23 gallon. I plan to add another 4 cories and 2 more bettas.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #4 
peachii

We have several community tanks all of which are heavily planted with -
Green Hygro, Temple plants, scarlet temple plants, Creeping jenny, ludwiga (several kinds) Water sprite, duckweed, Purple and Green Cabomba, Anacharis, About 6 kinds of sowrd plants, Java Fern, Flame moss, Jumba Sag, Moneywort, Hortwort, Pennywort, 2 types of Valesnaria and a few others that I forgot the name of. They live in super jungles.
All of our tanks are happy and healthy and the fish like their tank mates very much.

2 10 gallons - 1 king Betta about 4 inches long with 2 sarpae tetras and 3 assassin snails who will hopefully successfully breed for us. Random other feeder snails for the assassin snails. The tetras we never would have picked out but 1 came with a tank we bought off craigslist and we figured if he survived living in that tank we would get him a friend or two and keep him. We got another tetra but didn't know anything about them, Petco guy told us the black color would school with the red and he was wrong so the black went in the other tank and we got 2 more black to go with him.

Other 10 gallon - 1 king betta about 2 inches long, he's a baby we just got him a month ago. 4 tiny, tiny rasboro fish. 3 baby cories that are growing out in that tank - will move them to my bigger tank after they get bigger but afraid they won't get to eat with the piggies in the big tank and just put 2 otos in there from the assassin snail tank because I am afraid that otos are eating the assassin snail eggs. They will probably stay in that tank or move to the bigger tank with the other 6 or 7 otos.

1 divided 5 gallon with 1 male betta on each side. researching snails to go in their tank. Looks like Mini Rabbit snails are going to be their tank mates soon as we can afford to order them.

1 5 gallon with 1 male betta and 5 ghost shrimp

1 1.5 gallon with 1 male betta and 1 ghost shrimp

1 10 gallon with ?? red Cherry Shrimp - started with 40 about a month ago so at least 41 and 7 brand new baby platies we just scooped out of the 46 gallon

1 10 gallon with Ghost Shrimp/ extra plants - will house red cherry shrimp when we breed enough to move them over, ghost shrimp are just doing the upkeep to keep it cycled.

1 46 gallon - 2 turquoise rainbow fish, 2 bosmani rainbow fish, 3 tetras, 3 tiger barbs, 5 mollies, 5 albino cory, 2 peppered cory, 3 catfish, 1 pleco, 2 rosy barbs, 1 clown loach, assorted snails that came with the plants, 1 hillstream loach, 2 platies

29 gallon sorority tank -
13 female bettas, 2 rusty cory, 5 albino cory, 6 or 7 otos

Most tanks run with a bubbler airline, regular filter and an extra sponge filter for current and or backup filtration.

Took us months to get our tanks where we were happy with them, the 46 gallon will need a re-scape after we get rid of the pleco, he came with the tank and uproots all our plants daily.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #5 
shellieca

You do know that your 20g is not stocked properly? Goldfish are not tropical fish & require a bigger tank for them grow & develop properly.

I have 3 10g tanks with a male Betta each, a Mystery snail each, 2 of the tanks also have nerites. My 5.5g has a Male Betta with a Mystery & Nerite. My 46g has female Bettas, 2 CAE's, 1 Mystery, Nerites, MTS & probably some other hitchhiked in snails.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Two five-gallons with RCS, Dwarf Orange Crayfish (CPO), Assassin snails and Thai Micro Crabs. Lots and lots of plants.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #7 
Kiara1125

Guys, I don't need to be told how to stock my tank. I got banned from a forum for a discussion about it. I was being attacked and yet *I* got banned. Anyways, I understand your concern, but I'm going to keep my tank the way it is. Thanks. :)

Russell and peachii, those are great tanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #8 
shellieca

There was no attack here that I see. We don't always know how much knowledge a person has. Most of us want what's best for the fish to be healthy & happy so when we see something that isn't in a fishes best interest we speak up. I make no apology saying something, I do my best to not be nasty about it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #9 
Kiara1125

I'm not saying I'm being attacked, I was pointing out last time. Anyways, like I said, these fish have been together for 3 years. I research before I do anything and I decided to do this after seeing other people have success with it. That's all I'm saying.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #10 
chardzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Guys, I don't need to be told how to stock my tank. I got banned from a forum for a discussion about it. I was being attacked and yet *I* got banned. Anyways, I understand your concern, but I'm going to keep my tank the way it is. Thanks. :)

Russell and peachii, those are great tanks!
i like ur tank set up once u understand the fish and they needs they will live verry good i have a mix tank of fish all so and each kind mind they own business till it feeding time lol
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote