Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #1 
hopeful fish

10 Gallon Stocking Plans

Hi Everyone!!

I have just gotten my first tank! It is a 10 gallon planted tank that is currently in the process of fishless cycling. I wanted to have some people look at my stocking plans before I actually do anything. My pH is 7.6, and my ammonia and nitrites will be 0 and nitrates reasonable before adding fish. This is what I am thinking for stocking:
  • 2 amano shrimp
  • 4 Dwarf Cory Cats (I will get more once I get better filtration. Would the Habrosus be OK in a pH of 7.6? If not, I will get the Hastatus.)
  • 1 Zebra Nerite snail
  • 1 male betta

What do you all think?

Thanks!
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there!

I got to say that I love my Dwarf Cory's, I also have a pH of 7.6 but the one problem is that they are very active swimmers so they might get stressed in a smaller space. When they are happy they are swimming up and down the tank walls and then munching on the algae that's on the plants and playing in the sand. You can still try them but just be warned is all.

Also, they do well in sand or a smaller smooth gravel because in regular gravel their barbel's can get hurt and that's no fun for the little guys.

You can get more than 2 Amano, you could actually have about 10 in there and it would be great, Shrimp have very small bio-loads so you don't have to worry about them pooping all over the place like snails lol.

But a Nerite is a great choice in snail! It has the least amount of bio-load and cannot reproduce in freshwater! So I think 1 will do you great, remember you also have to acclimate them the way you'd acclimate a fish. Shrimp are very delicate and sensative so I would recommend Drip-Acclimation for them :)

And 1 Betta, that sounds great to me! The Amano's will stick up for themselves generally if the Betta decides he wants a snack, however still be warned, your Betta might still want a midnight snack! So plenty of hiding places for the shrimp is good, lots of pants for them to munch about and hide.

Over all looks great :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 
hopeful fish

Thanks! That is very reassuring. I have this gravel:

http://www.petco.com/product/107319/...avelSubstrates

Would that be OK for the Cories? Someone said they had the same but in a different color, but everyone else says cheap gravel is bad. What do you think?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It might be okay for them, I personally wouldn't use it but you can certainly try it and see what happens or start a new thread asking that specific questions so others might be able to chime in :)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I want to warn against gravel for the smaller cories. I had small smooth gravel in my tank with panda cories, and they couldn't move it around properly (bear in mind that they are larger than the dwarfs). I wasn't able to vacuum properly as my tank was heavily planted and I would have uprooted the plants. As a result, some detritus built up in my tank and when a cory did manage to turn a pebble, he got a blast of anaerobic gas to the face which destroyed his barbels. Another damaged his barbels simply by hurting them on a pebble. Definitely go for sand if you can. :)

Another advantage of sand is that it is hilarious to watch the wiffle through it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #6 
10asartin

+1 to the others that caution against gravel with cories. I highly recommend sand with them and honestly I like the look of sand better because it looks more natural.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I also find that sand is easier to take care of. Instead of vacuuming out like gravel you just hover the siphon over the sand, occasionally going in circular motions to stir up the stuff. And then about once a month (I do part of it at every water change) you just have to churn the sand a little so that gasses don't get stuck like Bomba had mentioned.

I've got Black Tahitian Moon Sand and I love it, it's also easier to plant as well. But I'm in the process of changing all my gravel tanks over to sand
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #8 
hopeful fish

Goals for this weekend: 1) study for exams 2) convert tank to sand
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Woot! Good luck on your exams! You'll do great
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu

[quote=lilnaugrim;2184209]lots of pants for them to munch about and hide./quote]

Sorry, Lil, but some typos are priceless....
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, betta, community, first tank, newbie