Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #11 
RoseyD

I'm new to tanks and fish, so don't mind that my question may come out sounding really silly - but I'm trying to understand the concept ...

why do people add big rocks to tanks? If the rocks are taking away from the 'gallons' of water the tank holds, and thus reducing the amount of fish load that a tank can sustain... then, isn't it a bad thing to have too many big rocks?

Last edited by RoseyD; 07-23-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: used the wrong words and needed work to make the question understandable.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #12 
Zan

that is true but you dont want to cram as many fish as possible into a tank. also with only water in a tank it would be so boring. :P
Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #13 
Seanyb9985

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyD View Post
why do people add big rocks to tanks? If the rocks are taking away from the 'gallons' of water the tank holds, and thus reducing the amount of fish load that a tank can sustain... then, isn't it a bad thing to have too many big rocks?
I believe it is an inch of fish for every gallon of water so it is not necessarily how many fish you have but how big the fish are. In larger tanks the amount of water the rocks displace is only a few gal. In a 55 gal tank you may only be losing 5 gal to rocks. So there is still room for 50 inches worth of fish.
Seanyb9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #14 
Ajsim

Well, rocks ans plants make the tank look more natural, and that's how i like it! But more inportant, rocks, plants, etc. create good hiding places for the fish in your tank and thus they will feel more safe and will behave more natural. Also, they most often show much better colors.

I believe creating a natural environment is even more important than the gallons of water u lose while adding rocks and plants... And last but not least you can increase the amount of fish load of most tanks by upgrading the tanks filter.

Last edited by Ajsim; 07-24-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #15 
Seanyb9985

I agree!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #16 
doggyhog

I Love your 55 gal. tank!!! Beautiful!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #17 
Seanyb9985

Thanks!!! Yeah it was beautiful unfortunately I had to sell it. But it was one of my favorite tanks that I have done