Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #1 
Sapphire

Clamped fin rot, lethargic, and not eating.

Housing
What size is your tank? 8-10 gallons, but he's currently in a 2 gallon hospital tank.
What temperature is your tank? 82-84F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Spectrum betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Five pellets once a day, fast once a week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe Water Conditioner, API Stress Coat+, Atison's Betta Spa.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Paler, shorter fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Extremely lethargic. No longer eating. No longer swimming.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Three days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, he is in a 2 gallon hospital tank with aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just minor fin rot, but nothing ever this serious.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He could have been 1 or 2 years old when I bought him three months ago.

Pictures!
Him being acclimated into his hospital tank.

This is how he lays most of the time- vertical.

In his hospital tank, just laying vertically. I lowered the water so he didn't have to swim so much to get air.

A close up at his fin rot.

And every time he does swim from the bottom, he suddenly stops and drops down slow vertically. I will post a video of it when it finishes uploading!
Please help, he's been a bit lethargic this week but then all of this just happened out of nowhere today!
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #2 
Sapphire

Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/7txVuaVTHeo

Please help, he's gotten worse since then and has stopped swimming almost completely. He can't swim properly and is now swimming upside-down/backwards.

I'm done with the conservative approach, it doesn't look like he's going to make it if I continue with it. Please recommend me which medication I need to buy and use.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aquarium salt contains a lot of sodium. This can contribute to fluid retention, bloating, and buoyancy issues.

I have two recommendations:
  1. Lower the water temp to about 78. (Bacteria multiply faster in warm water. By reducing the temp slightly, you'll decrease its growth rate.)
  2. Use Epsom salt instead of Aquarium salt. Epsom salt reduces fluid retention and should help resolve his buoyancy problems. It also has slight antimicrobial properties, which may help his fin rot. (You can get Epsom salt in supermarkets and pharmacies. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. No dyes, additives or perfumes.)

To use the Epsom salt:
  1. Add 2 teaspoons Epsom salt to 1 gal of conditioned water.
  2. Stir/shake until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  3. Using this premixed treatment water, make 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today.
  4. Tomorrow, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
  5. Then, either do a 50% water change every day, or do one every other day. Keep him in this bowl for up to 10-14 days.

If this does not resolve his buoyancy issues within 2 days, you can increase the Epsom salt dosage to up to 3 teaspoons per gallon.

Swim bladder issues look pretty dramatic. I believe his issues are caused by the Aquarium salt. And Epsom salt usually does a really good job at relieving it.

Edited to add: Also, you can put plastic vegetable wrap over the top of the tank. This will increase the humidity levels, making it easier for him to breathe.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-29-2013 at 08:25 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 
Sapphire

I went to Petco/Wal-mart to buy epsom salt, but he had passed away by the time I got back.

Thank you, though.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I am sorry....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote