Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 
RabidAliver

Marimo moss ball questions

I've never had a moss ball in my tank or even know what they require. I was considering buying two for both of my bettas' tanks, so before I get one for either tank I'd like to know exactly what I need.

Currently both of my tanks are 3 gallons each, and are kept at 82 degrees. They're also filtered and fully cycled.
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #2 
Gallium

Marimo balls are actually just balls of extremely slow-growing cladophora algae. They only thing they require is to be turned weekly and squeezed bi-weekly or so. If they are not squeezed they will build up debris and become a source of ammonia.

They can really survive with even the lowest of light, they are really super hardy.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Marimo balls are actually just balls of extremely slow-growing cladophora algae. They only thing they require is to be turned weekly and squeezed bi-weekly or so. If they are not squeezed they will build up debris and become a source of ammonia.

They can really survive with even the lowest of light, they are really super hardy.
Oooh. They don't take the nitrates or any of that out of the water then? (I know next to nothing about aquarium plants, so yeah...figured I'd ask)
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #4 
Gallium

They do take nitrates and ammonium, but not enough to really make any kind of change. They are very, very slow growers, and are somewhat infamous for having other types of algae grow on it if water perimeters aren't kept in check.

Basically they're alive, green, and fish like to sleep on them. Bio-film eaters like cherry shrimp and some snails will graze on the things that grow on them, but as far as I know none of the common aquariums creatures actually eat them.

You can rip them apart and tie/glue them to driftwood and rocks and they'll attach after some months and actually look quite nice.

They're actually good beginner plants because of how simple they are to take care of. It's basically like having the aquatic form of a pet rock really.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moss ball