Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #1 
colouratura

Hi and Hoping Things Go Swimmingly :)

I've been lurking here a bit and decided to join. Fabulous community with so much to learn from. Wow!

I've loved Bettas for years and finally decided to take the plunge and try my hand at caring for one.

I have a 10 gallon half-moon tank that I purchased today at Petsmart. It's up and running but I don't plan on adding a fishy in there yet, even though the staff insisted that it was ok after 24 hours.
I have added water conditioner and aquarium salt as per recommendations both from the Petsmart staff and from my own research.

I did however buy a Betta. They had a lot of them and while they all looked lovely and actually not half-dead like some pet stores I've been to today(so sad seeing them in little bags in shops stuffed in with a moss ball. Not sure the fish were all alive.), there was one that I fell in love with. So in case someone buys him before my tank is ready, I couldn't help but buy him. He'll have to live in a bowl until the tank is ready but I figure it's better than him staying in the petstore in his cup. He's a Veil Tail Betta. Gorgeous metallic blue that is turquoise in some areas of him. At the front he has matching burgundy stripes on each pectoral fin.

He's very lively and wherever I am, he tends to keep himself to he's facing me and comes to the side closest to where I am in the room.

I couldn't resist getting a moss ball as well. I love how so many of you have named them so mine is Raoul. I work in theatre mostly with actors from Phantom so I gave it a Phantom of the Opera related name. I'm thinking of adding a ghost shrimp so would that make him/her and 'opera ghost shrimp'? Or possibly a frog, will name it Toad (again Phantom related name).

There's so much info in these forums. I plan on reading and soaking up as much as I can so my little betta (not sure on his name yet) can hopefully have a long and contented life.

Cheers everyone.

Last edited by colouratura; 05-20-2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo
colouratura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Welcome to the forum
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

Kudos to you for doing your research beforehand. Your new buddy is going to love his new home.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #4 
colouratura

Thanks you two. I feel bad that he's stuck in a little bowl until his tank is ready but I keep reminding myself it's still better than his life at the petstore.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Meh, I use bowls for quarantine. They are not bad as long as they are cleaned and warm.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #6 
Rosewynn

Congrats! Welcome. :)

Just remember he's lived in his little bowl for most of his life; he'll be OK until your tank is ready. Then he'll be one happy camper!
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #7 
colouratura

Here's a pic of Cwtch (Welsh for 'hug'). He has some damage to his fins but I wanted to rescue him. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum ! Cwtch is lucky you rescued him and is a handsome guy, best of luck getting his pretty fins all healed up.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #9 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote