Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #11 
southafrica1001

^ Yes, I could get a male that is less agressive then a female could be, that's why Im still not sure.
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #12 
Starbright

My female betta killed $8 worth of neon tetras -__- she also freaks out when she sees me, nearly jumping out of the water just at the sight of me! She's spunky and entertaining. Lol. How's your female coming along? :)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #13 
southafrica1001

^ Oh that is an expensive betta. Is that her in your DP ? if so see is lovely ^_^ , my male has done a bit of damage to one of my cardinal tetra's (he gets on with everyone else XD) hence me moving them to the 29 gallon. I'm still trying to decide wether I'll get a female for my 29 gallon so I'll have to see on the day I go to the LPS ^.^
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #14 
Starbright

Yep, that's her on my icon :]
Most females are pretty passive. (But 3 out of 3 of mine were killers ;_;) I think I just had bad luck...
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #15 
southafrica1001

^ Aww I bet you don't. Thats what I am worried about, I don't want to get a female and then find that she is just as agressive.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #16 
RoseyD

I have 5 betta girls in a community - that began with adding first 3, and then taking out the troublemakers and adding the others. Now all my bettas are together in there, and having the other community fish (in my case - the 3 cory's) - takes a lot of the territorial attitudes away.

Most of my bettas follow the corys around as they zip around the tank. I think at least my littlest betta believes she's a cory because she's imitating them. Very cute. :)

I think you should try the community tank - and make sure you monitor them to see that the bettas don't bully anyone, or similarly, they aren't surrounded and pestered. There's a chance you could get the right mix and have one really happy tank. :)

My tank has been only up for a week - and I only added the whole gang/with cories on Friday - but, it's really something experience a time when it's all working well.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #17 
RoseyD

Oh, I should state - my tank is planted, with lots of floating plants. I don't think it would work well without those plants. In the first few days (prior to the cory's - the plants are what saved the lesser aggressive bettas from having to swim as much - they'd hide in the floating plants right up near the surface so they could watch what was going on around them, breathe, and stay out of view of the bully (until I removed her).

Name:  IMGP0391 full view tank end week 1 small.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  41.5 KB
my tank and my girls
Name:  IMGP0313 betta girls small.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  IMGP0184 Topaz small.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  27.6 KB
One of the former bully's - Topaz
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your tank is beautiful! Yeah, I think lots of plants to hide in definitely helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #19 
RoseyD

Thanks, DramaQueen. :) I am new to fish - I started with one 20 gal tank (the one pictured) - thinking I wanted to do natural plants, and have some gouramis. A week before the tank was planted - I visited petsmart and saw the poor bettas in the little cups. I couldn't help it - I bought 7 of them (all girls)

And so what was to have been a gourami tank is now a betta sorority.

I now love my girls and I'd have it no other way. :)

Since then, I've ordered a 12 gal. and a 5 gal. and have other types of fish in those... and I'm now planning to buy a 40 gal tank to be able to have my Gourami community too. (All's well that ends well.)

ps... I may need to get a betta boy so that there's not so many female hormones in my apartment... Between myself, my 5 cats (4 girls) - and the 5 betta girls... and 3 rainbow fish - girls (2 boy rainbows), and one girl gold gourami... (the cory's I haven't figured out how to sex them yet...)

As I said - lot's of female pheramones, the boys in the house don't have much success in getting their way. :D
Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, a male would be nice! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote