Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 
CarmanDirda

Swim bladder disease?

A girl at my college asked me for help with her crowntail male and I happily obliged. She gave me the run around for quite some time until finally her roommates let me to see him. At this point his was conditions were visibly bad, with little room to swim and he appeared dead until I took him out and put him in a cup of clean water to take home.

He is in about an inch of medicated water to heal his severe fin rot/biting and what I believe is swim bladder disease (Epsom salt and a few drops if bettafix). He hasn't eaten for almost a week according to her and her roommates and won't accept food. He lays on the bottom half slumped over and can barely reach the top for air.

He swims decent enough, but his tail is short and weak from biting and/or fin rot and he is malnourished. He is very willing to stay alive, but sadly had been living on minimum food and in horrible unclean water for months.

I've never had such a severe case before. He seems to be more active in his new clean water but otherwise I don't know, I just got him home. Suggestions?
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #2 
10asartin

I'm not sure if I would continue the bettafix treatment (oil in the medication is thought to coat the labyrinth organ making it hard to breathe), especially if he is already having trouble breathing properly. I do feel you are going the right route with the epsom salt to help heal the SBD so I would continue doing that treatment until it is resolved. As far as the fin rot goes just keep the water warm and clean and that should heal up fine. The fact that he is more active already is a great indicator so hopefully he will bounce back quickly.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 
CarmanDirda

I've barely put any bettafix in the but I will definitely watch it. He isn't having trouble breathing, just getting to the surface sometimes. Since I posted this he has gotten even better and now can sit upright in the bottom and swim a little better.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #4 
10asartin

That's great news. Keep us updated on his progress, maybe post some pictures when you can.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 
CarmanDirda

I can't upload an image now, but I will try to.

He still has trouble moving but when I gave him clean water this afternoon I was able to give him about an inch and a half maybe? I'm afraid to give him more. He still struggles for air, but not as much. He also started reacting to his neighbor, another male, and they flare at each other a lot.

I'm worried it isn't swim bladder disease and maybe just malnutrition weakening his vertebra or muscles, or maybe a deformity that isn't visible from the outside. He isn't acting quite like a fish with swim bladder problems.

If it is an injury, how should I go about telling or treating? Aside from being unable to swim properly, there aren't any other similarities.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #6 
10asartin

If there aren't any other signs of SBD then it is completely possible that he has another unidentified issue. How long has he been having the swimming problems?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #7 
CarmanDirda

I have no idea. I just got him yesterday from a fellow student at my college. All I know for sure is his water was cleaned once every several months, he had no heater, lived in a bowl not even a half gallon with a plant over taking most his space and was fed on rare occasions.

Attachment 136889

If this works (I'm on my phone since I don't have a computer) this is how he is looking now. He can sit properly sometimes but still lops over and panics to correct himself. Seems a lot like swim bladder problems but I steal feel his behavior is different from the usual cases I see. He's also thin from starvation.