Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #1 
SkeleGir

Question Murky waterin 5 gallon tank while cycling with food??

Hi! I'm new here and I was hoping you guys could help me with my little dilemma seeing as though you guys provide gr8 advice :)
I wanted to upgrade my betta from his 1 gallon tank so I bought a new 5 gallon tank which I began to cycle 2 days ago using the food method (the food is inside a stocking floating in the tank to prevent messes). I noticed today that the water was pretty murky..
The parameters are:
nitrate: 10
nitrite: .8
hardness: soft
alkalinity: 40
pH: 7.9

Are there water changes I should be doing? I'm following the thread that's around here about the methods.. Am I doing something wrong?? I want my Gastly to be comfortable in his new home...

Last edited by SkeleGir; 05-29-2013 at 08:56 PM.
SkeleGir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

As long as Gastly isn't in the tank then no, don't change water during the cycle. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Bombalurina is right.... as long as your ammonia or nitrite do not exceed approximately 5.0ppm. More than this can slow your cycle. It is also good to keep your nitrate below 40ppm.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #4 
SkeleGir

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Will the cloudiness go away? And how much should I change in the water (or take away the food?) if the levels get too high?

I'm sorry for so many questions ;-; thank you again!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

You didn't give your ammonia reading. Have you tested your tap water? Its a little unusual to have nitrates & nitrites in 2 days, not unheard of but unusual. I'd test my tap to see what you're starting with. Remove the food IF your ammonia is 3-4, then add back in when ammonia drops to 1 or less to build it back up.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #6 
SkeleGir

My test strips don't include the ammonia reading :( they're Jungle 5 in 1 test strips.
Here are the parameters for my water straight out of the faucet.
Nitrate: 2
Nitrite: .3
Hardness: 100
Alkalinity: 50
pH: 8
Ammonia: ???
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

You really need to test for ammonia. I recommend getting the API Water test kit as it has all of the necessary tests & is liquid so more accurate than the strips. The test kit gives you well over a hundred tests where the strips only give you 30. More expensive up front but saves you money in the long run. Amazon has it for around $20 which is usually much cheaper than a store.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloudy water, cycling, food, tank