Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Go back and read my post (#8 in the thread). I explain the Epsom salt treatment there. (You were probably typing a reply when I posted, so you may not have seen it.)

Once you have him in a Epsom salt solution, tell us the size of the tank you're using. Then, we can give you instructions on how to do water changes for that sized tank.

You can keep him in Epsom salt solution for 10-14 days, if needed.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #12 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Do you have Epsom salt? It should be 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) It's available at pharmacies and supermarkets. (But not at pet stores!)

Since he's having trouble swimming, you might want to move him into a smaller, shallow tank or bowl. Or you can lower the water level in his 10 gal tank so that he can reach the surface more easily.

To treat with Epsom salt:
  1. 1) Scoop some tank water into a cup.
  2. 2) Add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon to the cup. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved. For example:
    1 gal tank = add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt
    5 gal tank = add 5 teaspoons Epsom salt
    10 gal tank = add 10 teaspoons Epsom salt)
  3. 3) Slowly pour the Epsom salt solution into the tank, over the course of about an hour.

Even better, I would move him into a shallow, 1 gallon container/bowl/tank, and do the following. This will provide a 100% water change for him, and allow him to reach the surface more easily:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon of water. For example:
    1 gal tank = add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt.
    2.5 gal tank = add 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt. Etc....
  5. Stir until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  6. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  7. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  8. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  9. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  10. Repeat steps 5-7, until an hour (or more) has passed.
  11. Gently release him into the tank.

Also, cover the tank with plastic vegetable wrap. This will increase the humidity, and allow him to breathe more easily.

Edited to add: Epsom salt at this dosage will not harm plants.
Great advice! I will use this on my fish :D
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #13 
Hadoken Kitty

Follow fishlets advice. Its okay. I'm sad to have lost him, but it happened to quickly that there was nothing I could do.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #14 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinlove1013 View Post
Should I just get the strip tests or can I take a sample of water to be tested?

The test strips are not reliable, the test water kit is much better at telling you the water parameters. A popular brand is API master test kit
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #15 
Penguinlove1013

Okay, I will put him into a smaller container and follow your directions. Thanks for the help. Hopefully he pulls through and I will update when Im done.
Penguinlove1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #16 
Penguinlove1013

Thumbs up Update for Tonight

I couldnt go to bed worried so I ran to walgreens, and picked up some epsom salt.

Just finished. I did a water change,added the salt, and even a new filter(just incase). On the down side I had to keep him in the 10 gal since the small one was nowhere to be found.

Should I be concerned about water temp? Its reading about 83-84. It was a really hot day today. We turned the air conditioner back on, so Im hoping it will go down.

*fingers crossed*
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #17 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinlove1013 View Post
I couldnt go to bed worried so I ran to walgreens, and picked up some epsom salt.

Just finished. I did a water change,added the salt, and even a new filter(just incase). On the down side I had to keep him in the 10 gal since the small one was nowhere to be found.

Should I be concerned about water temp? Its reading about 83-84. It was a really hot day today. We turned the air conditioner back on, so Im hoping it will go down.

*fingers crossed*
Nooo those are perfect temps for bettas. Though usually when a betta is sick, it is advised to have the temp at about 80*F. Anywhere from 79*F-86*F is ideal for bettas as they are tropical fish.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #18 
Penguinlove1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Nooo those are perfect temps for bettas. Though usually when a betta is sick, it is advised to have the temp at about 80*F. Anywhere from 79*F-86*F is ideal for bettas as they are tropical fish.
Thanks, good to know! I read everywhere 80* is as high as it should be, so glad I found this forum.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #19 
Hadoken Kitty

-highfives all around-

How's the boy doing?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #20 
Penguinlove1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
-highfives all around-

How's the boy doing?
Well, he was more active yesterday, now he has been floating sort of on his side at the bottle not doing much. I emptied half of the water out so he could reach the top better. Thinking I should empty more of it out today? I feel so bad for him. Should I do another epsom salt treatment?

Tags
constipation, sick betta, swim bladder disease