Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5-7/day, 6 days/week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Yes, all safe, at minimum or none indicated at all. pH is 7.2, high range 7.4

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Broken fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, just, with Myxazin for Fin Rot
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 Year

Hello,

I have had for a long time thought that my betta was nipping his fins or had it torn off ornaments or decorations in his tank, and have invested in some silk plants and floating objects for him to play with. However, as I didn't notice any improvement in his fins I decided to take a closer look with my camera and saw what I think could be instead a case of fin rot.

It started with his caudal fins, but recently I've noticed some colour on his left pectoral fin, which was otherwise fully transparent. I'm not sure if this is velvet, fin rot, my betta just developing new colours or something else.

Could someone help diagnose my betta's illness? I've just started a course of Myxazin (fin rot medicine) for good measure. Photo attached:

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by inveritas; 05-30-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Fix image link
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #2 
shellieca

Fin rot typically shows as black edges & I'm not seeing that in the pics. Have his fins stayed the same since you 1st noticed the damage, gotten worse or improved? Sometimes once damaged they don't quite grow back as fully as they once were & it can take a while for them to grow back. Personally I would do bigger water changes closer to 50%+ & throw in a 100% at least every 2 wks, this is what i do for my 2.5g unfiltered tank. IMO, meds are usually not needed just clean, warm, conditioned water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #3 
inveritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Fin rot typically shows as black edges & I'm not seeing that in the pics. Have his fins stayed the same since you 1st noticed the damage, gotten worse or improved? Sometimes once damaged they don't quite grow back as fully as they once were & it can take a while for them to grow back. Personally I would do bigger water changes closer to 50%+ & throw in a 100% at least every 2 wks, this is what i do for my 2.5g unfiltered tank. IMO, meds are usually not needed just clean, warm, conditioned water.
I've had him for 3 months already, and I noticed his fins ripped at about the forth week - I'm still not sure how, from nipping his own tail, fin rot or sharp ornaments.

They grew back for awhile but has since either stopped growing or gotten worse (I really can't tell). I only noticed the extra colours on his pectoral fin this week, hence the panic.

I added in some aquarium salt and dimmed his tank with a towel for a week in case of velvet, and had him rest for 2 days after before starting Myxazin (fin rot) treatment today.

I just shone a torchlight on him and noticed some very fine gold specs, completely invisible under normal light. I'm not sure if the salt wasn't enough or the velvet didn't go away (if there was velvet at all), but I don't remember seeing gold dust when I first got him.

Seems like I might have some very slow-acting fin rot AND velvet going on here!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #4 
shellieca

Fin regrowth is usually clear or white & then colors in later. I would keep his water clean & check the fins again with pics if possible again in a few days to a week. Compare the pics & you'll be able to see if there's any change. As for velvet, I've not dealt with it so I won't advise on that.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #5 
inveritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Fin regrowth is usually clear or white & then colors in later. I would keep his water clean & check the fins again with pics if possible again in a few days to a week. Compare the pics & you'll be able to see if there's any change. As for velvet, I've not dealt with it so I won't advise on that.
I'll keep this thread updated with pics soon. Thank you somuch!! m(_ _)m
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #6 
NorthernLights

Doing only 30% water changes in a 2 gallon tank sounds very concerning. What are you using to test the water? Strips or a liquid test kit? Can you tell us the exact readings?

I am curious, how do you keep your tank at 80F/27C without a heater?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #7 
inveritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
Doing only 30% water changes in a 2 gallon tank sounds very concerning. What are you using to test the water? Strips or a liquid test kit? Can you tell us the exact readings?

I am curious, how do you keep your tank at 80F/27C without a heater?
I don't remember the exact readings but I know they are waaaaay below the levels. Using the API Master Test Kit they all came in at or below 0.25ppm (5.0ppm for Nitrate).

I live in Singapore, near the equator where the temperature is between 24C/75F to 33C/91F all year round!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #8 
NorthernLights

Any readable level of ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite is bad for the fish. They need to be at zero.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #9 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
Any readable level of ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite is bad for the fish. They need to be at zero.
I agree with the ammonia & nitrites needing to be 0 but I've always heard from experienced fish keepers & read in my research that low nitrAtes were not harmful in any way. I'm curious why you believe otherwise.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

fin rot -dark or discolored edges that are ''smudged'',bloody tips, getting shorter, falling apart, large part of the tail just drop off, ragged edges, fins have been looking frayed.

velvet -Velvet is hard to spot, but can be best spotted with a flashlight. Shine the light on the betta’s body: if it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist, then it has velvet. A betta with velvet will act sick, so look for clamped fins, scratching against rocks/gravel/tank, loss of appetite, loss of color etc...

Ich -It is easy to diagnose a betta with external parasites: It will dart and scratch itself against anything it can find, such as gravel, rocks, heaters, tank walls, etc… You may or may not actually be able to see the parasites themselves. Look instead for a behavioral change in your betta. If it looks like it is on speed or acid, then it has parasites!! :)))) Betta with ich also looks like sprinkled with salt or has white dots that will spread pretty fast.

velvet and ich is external parasites so you will treat the same. Since you noticed some very fine gold he might has velvet.
I am going to give you the link to follow instruction . Check out my and LittleBlueFishlest instructions. Check post #6 and post #10

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=183737

Is he acting any differently like trying to scratch himself on objects, darting?

Also for 2 you need to do 1-50 and 1-100% water change a week. A lot of people will even recommend 2-50 and 1-100% a week..Unfortunately the water changes that you been doing is not enough at all. I would think that why he got sick. But hopefully you can treat him. It good that you dimmed the light since those exteranal parasites due to a photosynthetic process , meaning it will get worse with light.

Also you said that you just add some salt . Some salt will not help make sure you follow the instructions on that link i gave you . It very important to follow right dosage and right duration.
And give us update because some times you also will need medications to use , it all depends i guess on severity and individual fish.

If you can treat fish in his main tank or you can quarantine him. I would take everything out from his tank and rinse it with hot water and just let it sit outside in the sun , make sure it completely dry out -it will kill any parasites. Just let it completely dry out. Put all stones separate so they don't touch each other. Do you have live plants?

Also i would do a few 2-3 50% water changes first before you will do 100% water changes. And do them with about 2-3 hrs apart. The reason why i recommending it because you don't want to shock him with drastic water chemistry difference.
Aquarium salt also will help with fin rot, just don't stop even if you think he is better. You need to do full course of it.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-31-2013 at 04:21 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote