Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Mystery Snail Eggs

So, it appears one of my snails is a girl, and it appears she has laid a ton of eggs in my tank. Well, I guess my question is... now what? If I wanted to raise the babies how long does it normally take for them to grow until they hatch? What should I do with them after they hatch? I think I'll just try to rehome them on here (I don't have use for them), at what age could they be "rehomed"? Or, are they likely to get eaten by my ADF anyway and I don't have to worry about it? Or, would I even be more lucky and they are not likely to hatch?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I never let my eggs hatch so I can't answer your questions about what to do with them. I would talk to your LFS & see if they'll take them & give you store credit. If the eggs are in an area where they stay moist they should hatch but if they dry out they won't from my understanding. I believe I was told it takes 7-10 days but don't quote me as I said I don't let them hatch.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #3 
Silverfang

One question for you. Do you have the time, energy and resources to raise potentially 200 babies per clutch? I would suggest only allowing a small portion of a clutch to hatch.

This is taken from another site about apple/mystery snail. And it gives a fair warning.
Quote:
1. Do you have enough room?
Yes, it's wonderful to know that the conditions in your tank have spurred your young lovers into mating and laying. Yet when you consider that most clutches contain up to 200 young hatchlings that will eventually demand a minimum of 2 gallons of tank space each, can you afford to hatch the whole clutch?

2. Do you have the proper foods?
Contrary to what the LFS may tell you, only the young hatchlings eat algae and that's only until they are large enough to travel to another food source. So you'll have to come up with some proper foods (covered elsewhere in this forum) and that will cost you a bit. Not bad when it's only a few snails, but much harder when it's dozens and dozens of snails.

3. Do you have enough filtration?
Snails eat a lot and poop a lot. Experience has shown that you need to at least double the filtration on your tank. Otherwise you will be doing many, many water changes to keep the tank within normal limits.

4. Do you have a home for your snails?
After they've gotten to be pea-sized they are ready to be shipped or traded to the LFS. Do you have these contacts in place already? Do you know how to properly ship snails? (There is great info on this other places in the forum). And more importantly now...do you have a permit to ship them?

If you've answered no to any of the above, then maybe you better reconsider hatching the whole clutch. You can break off a piece of the clutch and try to hatch a smaller, and more manageable, amount of snails. The extra clutches can be disposed of in a responsible manner (not outside near ponds and water sources). This way you can still share in the excitement of raising snails, without some of the mishaps of having too many. Hope this helps
This is an excerpt from someone who had three clutches.

Quote:
Yesterday I finally realized that I was not going to be able to care for them all long enough to get a suitable number of them to the 'sellable' size my LFS wanted. I had 2 or 3 dozen that were easily big enough, but many, many more which were not. I ended up pulling out what I estimated to be about half the number of snails, ranging in size from pea-size (lots!) to nickle-size (a couple dozen) and donating them to the LFS. I also took a handful of pea-size ones out and dropped them in my 23gal tank, which is normally a fish-only tank.

Today, now that the numbers were thinned out, I took a headcount. First in the 'fish' tank. I did not count every single snail, but visually divided the tank into sections and counted the snails in a couple sections. I came up with between 100 and 150 pea-size snails! That was the 'handful'! The numbers I took to the LFS were 3 to 4 times that. There was at least two pounds of snails in the container that I took there.

And in my 38-gal tank, now that their numbers are cut by 'about half', a headcount brings me to over 300 snails still in there. The snails in the big tank have a wider range of size - the smallest are the size of a BB, or about 3mm across, up to 3/4" across.

Using conservative figures, I am estimating that between what I still have in my 38gal tank, what I have in my 23gal tank, and what I took to the LFS yesterday, there were at least 700 to 800 baby snails, out of the three clutches that hatched.

Staying on the conservative side that is still 700 snails, each of whom as an adult would require 2.5 gallons of water, filtration, food, heat, and regular maintenance -- a total of 1,750 gallons of maintained aquarium space.

That would be thirty-five 50-gallon tanks, housing nothing but snails.

Personally, I find that completely overwhelming!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #4 
Riverotter

What color snails do you have? If they are not the wild color, then you can sell the whole egg clutch on ebay or aquabid. Or, you can sell the baby snails the same way.

If they are the wild color, there is someone near me who actually raises them for escargo. Not my thing, but hey, it's an option.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

Trust me. Destroy the clutch ASAP. You'll thank me soon enough.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Well, the top of it has already dried out (at least it looks like it's dried out, it's lighter in color than the bottom). I do not have a firm fitting lid (due to the heater), and it lets air in and out of the tank (it's just a small opening, about 1/16"). Whoever it was laid the eggs right under the opening. The bottom (the whole thing is about 2" long) appears to still be moist (and luckily far smaller than the top). I would love to destroy it, and had planned on that, but it's a lot harder to do once the time comes. 1) It's gross looking and I don't want to touch it and 2) I feel bad because it feels like I'm killing them and I can't kill things.

To be honest, I did not expect them to breed. I knew there was a chance, but everyone I know who has Mystery snails has a bunch of them and has had them for years. I kept asking, and they kept saying they never had them reproduce. It's funny, because I even tell customers when they buy two, "did you know there is a possibility they may breed" and everyone always says "yes". It's one of those, it happens to others not me.

My plan is to find them homes asap. I know a couple people with tanks of various sorts, and then I was going to contact my LFS to ask if they'd be interested. I have no idea what they are going to be. I have a blue snail, black snail and ivory snail. All three have bright and vibrant colors and shells.

According to what I've found the USDA no longer requires shipping permits on most common aquatic snails. Is that correct?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #7 
Riverotter

If you get any blue or ivory, I'd be interested in some. My LFS only ever has the black and wild (dark brown and faintly striped) ones.

To the best of my knowledge, if it commonly sells in a chain pet store, you don't need a shipping permit. Only because the chains don't want to be bothered dealing with anything that needs a permit.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #8 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Well, the top of it has already dried out (at least it looks like it's dried out, it's lighter in color than the bottom). I do not have a firm fitting lid (due to the heater), and it lets air in and out of the tank (it's just a small opening, about 1/16"). Whoever it was laid the eggs right under the opening. The bottom (the whole thing is about 2" long) appears to still be moist (and luckily far smaller than the top). I would love to destroy it, and had planned on that, but it's a lot harder to do once the time comes. 1) It's gross looking and I don't want to touch it and 2) I feel bad because it feels like I'm killing them and I can't kill things.

To be honest, I did not expect them to breed. I knew there was a chance, but everyone I know who has Mystery snails has a bunch of them and has had them for years. I kept asking, and they kept saying they never had them reproduce. It's funny, because I even tell customers when they buy two, "did you know there is a possibility they may breed" and everyone always says "yes". It's one of those, it happens to others not me.

My plan is to find them homes asap. I know a couple people with tanks of various sorts, and then I was going to contact my LFS to ask if they'd be interested. I have no idea what they are going to be. I have a blue snail, black snail and ivory snail. All three have bright and vibrant colors and shells.

According to what I've found the USDA no longer requires shipping permits on most common aquatic snails. Is that correct?
If you want to break off half of it and send it to me, I'll hatch half of them for my tanks. We have 9 fish tanks and a local LFS store as well. And if not after they hatch I'll happily take about 10 of them.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I'd suggest you break off a small part and hatch that. Destroy the rest.

Just my opinion.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
If you want to break off half of it and send it to me, I'll hatch half of them for my tanks. We have 9 fish tanks and a local LFS store as well. And if not after they hatch I'll happily take about 10 of them.
How do you break it off and ship it without killing them all off? I am still not sure if they will be blue, ivory or black. But, one of the parents at least has to be ivory or blue as there are only three snails in the tank.

Riverotter, I would be happy to send you some ivory or blue. I've never seen the natural color before. My PSmart carries blue, ivory, golden and black. I've had two golden, but they both died on me, so I've given up on golden and have decided I will stick with the blue, ivory and black (all of which I think are prettier anyway).