Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 
Sarawr96

Unhappy My Betta won't make a bubble nest

Okay, so for a long time now I have been planning to breed my Bettas. I have a beautiful male betta that has a white body and blue/red fins. My female is a pinkish white color. When my male was in his 2 gallon bowl he made bubble nests like crazy! I've had them both for about 5 months now. I put him into a large 10 gallon tank that had been filtered and I turned the filter off to not disturb his nest building. I even put some styrofoam in it to help him out. He decided to start building his nest in the opposite corner to the styrofoam so I took it out. he built it to be about the size of a small apple. Just after that though he quit and isn't working on it anymore :( the temperature is around 75-80F. Oh and I also have my female right next to my males tank. I even tried to put a mirror next to him so he would feel like there was competition for his female. Is there anything I can do to get him to build his nest more? I've been waiting so long to breed them and now he's being a pain in the butt! :(
Sarawr96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 
BettaFishBreeder

Indian Almond leaf might help, but it sounds like the bubble nest is a decent size if they are pet store bettas! Good Luck with the spawn!
BettaFishBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #3 
Sarawr96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFishBreeder View Post
Indian Almond leaf might help, but it sounds like the bubble nest is a decent size if they are pet store bettas! Good Luck with the spawn!
I wish I would have known that sooner! His nest is almost gone now :( I thought it was too small. But I placed my female in a small jar with air holes in the middle of his tank so hopefully he'll be interested by that! He isn't flaring at her or anything though. any idea what that means?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #4 
MadMay

How did you condition them?
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 
Sarawr96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMay View Post
How did you condition them?
what do you mean by that?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

1. Try to keep temp steady around 82F
2. At the moment, isolate them for a few days - don't let them see other fish.
3. After the isolation period, do not let the pair constantly see each other. Only flare them daily for 5-15 minutes. If possible use other fish as sparring partner - male to male and female to female. Once they are aggressive then flare the pair to each other.
4. Check water pram.
5. Keep feeding nutritious foods 2-3 times daily.
6. Most important, be patient :)

Note: I do not rely on nest nor breeding bars on females to breed. I rely on flirting behavior. If both show flirting behavior, I breed them.

Good luck
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #7 
MadMay

Oh sorry conditioning is when you feed them nutritious food for a time period before you breed them. Breeding bettas takes a lot out of them especially the male so conditioning is very important.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 
Sarawr96

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
3. After the isolation period, do not let the pair constantly see each other. Only flare them daily for 5-15 minutes. If possible use other fish as sparring partner - male to male and female to female. Once they are aggressive then flare the pair to each other.
4. Check water pram.

Note: I do not rely on nest nor breeding bars on females to breed. I rely on flirting behavior. If both show flirting behavior, I breed them.

Good luck
Thank you! :) My female has breeding bars and is really fat lol. But hopefully this works!!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #9 
Sarawr96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMay View Post
Oh sorry conditioning is when you feed them nutritious food for a time period before you breed them. Breeding bettas takes a lot out of them especially the male so conditioning is very important.
ohhhh. I have been feeding them frozen blood worms and staple food. Should I be feeding them something else? I'm not quite sure if pet cetera sells eggs/live food :/
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #10 
Sarawr96

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
4. Check water pram.

Good luck
Also; What exactly does flirting behavior include? My female is in a jar inside his tank currently and he's flaring at her a little and kind of following her movements.

Tags
breeding, bubble, nest, trouble