Reference Team

Oh, interesting info, glad it was cleared up

Betta's are so confusing sometimes lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #22 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I've personally seen giants over four inches. But they weren't particularly well-formed. I had a 3 incher (nose to caudal peduncle) from Petco who died of ammonia from having been kept in one of those small cups.

My avatar picture is my giant plakat, 2.5in BO (body only) and growing, who succumbed to bad digestion (swim bladder?) in less than a day.

Some of the early giants were over four inches (some say five). But, when they were back-bred for looks, finnage and color, naturally they became smaller. Now Thai breeders call anything over 2in BO a giant. They call those 2.5in fish. Stone is right in his observations there.

More than absolute size, a giant is determined by genetics. So a 2in standard Betta is not a giant. But a 1.8in giant is.

Someone mentioned growth hormone. There really is no reliable growth hormone, even for commercial farm-raied fish, let alone pet fish. However, there is an anti-growth hormone, called a "stunting hormone" exuded by fry in an attempt to keep their sibling small and less competitive. A good giant breeder separates his fish as soon as possible to keep this from happening.

So, really, there is no such thing as a half-giant. The breeders are just doing their best to breed large, attractive Betta fish. Some are just bigger and better than others.

Hey, Edgy, here's a pic of Setsuna's wild B. splendens. See any similarity?

absolutely I have yet to see a betta over 4.5 inches or so I have heard rumors and read stuff on there being bigger ones but alas I need actual proof, that being said someone will now hunt down a 7 inch betta and ship it to my house all expenses paid.....;) to prove me worng but yeah thik about how big that betta would be plus his finnage that would be awesome.....
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #23 
konstargirl

He's a handsome guy! <3 What kind of betta is he actually even though you sad he was label as "king"?
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #24 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post
He's a handsome guy! <3 What kind of betta is he actually even though you sad he was label as "king"?
Like Hallyx said, he's probably a wildtype half-giant. Though I am honestly not sure. He's clearly a plakat though without a doubt. He was labeled a "King" at Petco.
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #25 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Hey, Edgy, here's a pic of Setsuna's wild B. splendens. See any similarity?

I can't see the the picture!! XD

Geez I'm terrible! Going to take a few pictures of Buckshot with my Canon RIGHT NOW!! Be right back!!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #26 
EdgyWolf

FINALLY!! Here are some better quality pictures of Buckshot!! Sorry if some of the pictures are a bit dark. He's a VERY DARK purplish/blue/black color. Glares got in the way as well. And Buckshot swimming around being a show off made one of the pictures slightly blurry.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #27 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Nice looking fish by trational plakat standards. Good topline, pointy anal. Could use a broader dorsal and more even caudal. Looks like he has a little copper in him, too.

Maybe he spawned a giant 2-ray plakat with a wild female (imbellis? smarigdina?) to get that. Whatever the breeder did, I hope he crosses siblings for a while to set that configuration and size; and that he does a lot more.

Oh...My giant loved the camera. I would blink the orange focus light on my camera whenever I fed him.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote