Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #1 
shellieca
Reference Team

Time add more girls.

Well, over the months my sorority has dwindled down to 7 from a max of 12. I keep saying I'm not going to add more but I think I'm going to after all. I hadn't had much success removing a girl for treatment, they always ended up dying so I've been reluctant to replace them. I removed a girl last weekend who was clamped, hanging near the surface, taking frequent breaths & not eating. A couple days in QT with some Epsom & general cure she seems to be almost 100%. It feels good to successfully treat one for an illness . . . Finally! Anyways, I'm going to look at my local LFS instead of Petsmart/Petco. I'm kind of excited, OK maybe more than kind of.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Goodluck!
It's always a bummer to see a fish you thought you could/were help(ing) die. I hate that, but it happens. I've lost nearly all my females 2x, and on top of that had a 3rd bout were I started losing a good amount, but finally got it under control. Now I'm back up from 3 girls to 7...but working my way back down to the 4 AB girls I bought. (28 gallon)

Edit:: I don't know if you've ever added more girls to it, but it's not necessary to remove everyone and rearrange. I've never done that and have never had an issue. I'd rather have only a couple girls "fighting" for pecking order vs. the entire tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by aemaki09; 05-31-2013 at 10:40 AM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

It is very frustrating losing them & especially when you can't figure out why so you can prevent it. Its always one at a time & several months apart but always ends with dropsy. I've treated the entire tank for parasites recently so hoefully that'll help. I actually add new ones the same as you, I've never removed them all or re-arranged the tank when adding new girls. I do like to re-arrange the tank from time to time just because I like a change.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #4 
peachii

We had a few tough weeks where we lost the first male bettas that we got very close together. When it happened I cut out the dividers and have put them mostly in a solo tank. I love the bettas, they are the prettiest fish you can have but I get so attached we made the decision that less males would be better. I'm sure after a little while I will get over the lose and want to build the guys back up but for now all the tanks are happy with 1 betta a piece basically.

I shudder to even think if something were to happen to my sorority, it's my pride and joy. I love those fish in that tank so very much.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
It is very frustrating losing them & especially when you can't figure out why so you can prevent it. Its always one at a time & several months apart but always ends with dropsy. I've treated the entire tank for parasites recently so hoefully that'll help. I actually add new ones the same as you, I've never removed them all or re-arranged the tank when adding new girls. I do like to re-arrange the tank from time to time just because I like a change.
Yeah Ive had 3 deaths with dropsy in the last year. All were well cared for and Im still trying to figure the last one out. It is always the favorite fish for me that gets it for some reason. shellieca I have too many sorority girls now in 3 separate tanks. I would like to rehome some of the girls and if you could pay for the shipping I would get them to you free if your interested. They are a bunch of good natured marble HM sisters raised together and very docile...and chubby lol. Im in Canada and its warmer now so shipping them wouldn't be a problem and if you had them I would be happy cuz you have good experience and knowledge.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Thank you logisticsguy that is very nice of you. I've never done the shipping thing. I work Monday-Friday so I'm typically not home but I do take vacation! Also, can you ship live animals from Canada to California?

Its good to know I'm not alone! Thanks everyone. My girl currently in QT isn't out of the woods yet, her poo is still white BUT isn't as stringy so I'm hoping that's a good sign.