Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

And that's with live bacteria snaffled from your cycled tank? Amazing.

I just ran my sponges in my cycled tank for 10 days. Put it in my 3g and never showed ammonia. Did that twice.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
And that's with live bacteria snaffled from your cycled tank? Amazing.

I just ran my sponges in my cycled tank for 10 days. Put it in my 3g and never showed ammonia. Did that twice.
Is this question directed at me? No, these were completely new tanks. I've had VERY weird readings. 3 days ago i had .25 ammonia & no nitrites, yesterday 0 on both & no nitrates or so low they don't register. My 10g did the same, one day 0 across the board, then ammonia, then nitrites for a few days then back to 0 then it'd start all over again. So I just keep testing & hoping it'll end one day.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yeah, that sounds typical for a fish-in cycle. I'd have thought that some of your tanks were cycled well enough to get some seeded media from.

No problem. You know better than to be in a hurry.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #14 
Stone

When I am planning on adding a new tank I will usually get an extra sponge filter and run it in one of my current tanks for a few weeks, set up the new tank add some gravel from the old tank but have it in a cup so it does not have to stay add the sponge filter and some streszyme, speed the cycle up really nice
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #15 
crowntaillove3

About the Tetra Whisper 3i... That was the filter meant for three gallons that I was talking about. It is meant for up to three gallons, but it is more expensive than a filter for up to 6.6 gallons. If you want the best bank for your buck, I would suggest the Marina i25 Internal Filter.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #16 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Yeah, that sounds typical for a fish-in cycle. I'd have thought that some of your tanks were cycled well enough to get some seeded media from.

No problem. You know better than to be in a hurry.
This didn't happen with the HOB filters I've fish IN cycled with, things were steady as she goes, but these have bounced back & forth so much. The 5g was an emergency situation so no time to prepare.

Sorry for the hijack OP.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote