Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #1 
Sakejing

Aquarium salt

i was wondering how will aquarium salt help in healing external problems. what does it do. Thanks.
Sakejing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

aquarium salt and epsom (plain ,no additives added) have antibacterial/antifungal affect. Both can be used in the dosages tsp/gall - 3 tsp/gall. Always pre mix make sure it dissolved first(no salt crystals should before you use it for the tank).

Aquarium salt you can use for 10 days full course of the treatment. In some cases up to 14 days. Epsom salt is very mild on fish and can be sued for long time. And in some chronic problem indefinitely in low doses.

Aquarium salt is for external problem- external parisites, fin rot/damage, wounds etc

Epsom salt for internal problem like internal parisites (help to purge them out, not treat though); constipation( laxatives); swill bladder problems, pop eye etc..

What wrong with your fish?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #3 
Sakejing

oh my fish is just fine , i was just curious and felt like learning about it , thanks. Why do i need to premix it first? isnt it the same? cant i let it dissolve by itself?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

It probably can if you just pre mix it and let it sit out. But if you need to use it right away you need to make sure it dissolved. So you would stir it until there is no more salt crystals left, otherwise it can burn the fish.
If you have betta i would really recommend to have both salt on hands in case you need it right away. Bettas just like human being or other animal can get sick no matter how good you care about them. I always have salts and medications available for them .
Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

I forgot to mention that when you treat you can keep fish in the tank or you can use hospital tank . You need to do 100% daily water changes. If your tank is cycled you can do daily 50% water changes.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #6 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakejing View Post
oh my fish is just fine , i was just curious and felt like learning about it , thanks. Why do i need to premix it first? isnt it the same? cant i let it dissolve by itself?
If you are going to use it immediately, you need to pre-mix it because dissolving salt produces heat. It is an exothermic reaction and can burn your betta.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #7 
Sakejing

Thanks alot everyone