Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #1 
EdgyWolf

Question Aggression?

Buckshot, my "King" betta fish (so Petco calls it), has started to act a little more aggressive than usual. Or what I would assume is aggression with the flaring around his tank and what not. I tried feeding him this morning and all he wanted to do was flare and completely ignore me and the food. Today I decided to cover the sides of his tank with some white paper to see if he calmed down. He DOES have two very big bubble nests that he made in the two front corners of the tank and I'm wondering if he thinks I'm threatening his bubble nest or something and that's why he keeps flaring at me. Just a guess. Like I said today I covered his entire tank except for the front with paper. Is there a way to get him to calm down?
EdgyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can try turning the lights off.

He's probably seeing his reflection and either thinking it's another male or a female and he's defending his nests. He's not exactly flaring at you, the white paper should help though.

My boy's generally do this when they are still fairly new to the tank, they'll do it for a few weeks and then either get bored of it or learn that it's just their reflection. But you can minimize the light he get's during the day so that it's only on for 6 hours to start and then work your way up, maybe two more hours each week to whatever it is that you have them on for
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #3 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You can try turning the lights off.

He's probably seeing his reflection and either thinking it's another male or a female and he's defending his nests. He's not exactly flaring at you, the white paper should help though.

My boy's generally do this when they are still fairly new to the tank, they'll do it for a few weeks and then either get bored of it or learn that it's just their reflection. But you can minimize the light he get's during the day so that it's only on for 6 hours to start and then work your way up, maybe two more hours each week to whatever it is that you have them on for
Sounds like a good plan. Maybe I shouldn't feed him for a while too because he's getting picky with that food I'm giving him and I'm not about to pamper the guy with several different things. He's spat out pellets, flakes, and bloodworms (though he's eaten some bloodworms). When I first got him he was really good about the pellets. Then he started his whole flaring act and doesnt want it anymore. So I might not feed him for a day or two and see if he's hungry then which I'm sure he will be. He's a big boy! LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What kind of food do you give him?

My guys/girls practically beg me for their NLS pellets. I have Omega One and some other pellets but they pretty much disregard those unless they notice that that's all their getting and then they sort of pick at it but aren't really enthused by it lol.

I just like NLS because it has garlic in it which Betta's absolutely adore so that's why I think they go nuts over it.

But yeah, let him skip a meal and see what happens

Oh also, are those freeze-dried BW's or frozen?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
What kind of food do you give him?

My guys/girls practically beg me for their NLS pellets. I have Omega One and some other pellets but they pretty much disregard those unless they notice that that's all their getting and then they sort of pick at it but aren't really enthused by it lol.

I just like NLS because it has garlic in it which Betta's absolutely adore so that's why I think they go nuts over it.

But yeah, let him skip a meal and see what happens

Oh also, are those freeze-dried BW's or frozen?

I have Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms, Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley flakes for bettas (full container), Tetra Sun Dried Baby Shrimp (full container, which he shows no interest in), Aqueon Betta Food pellets (which came with my tank when I first got it so it's still very much full). My last betta loved this food combination and food choices.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hmm yeah, Tetra's not know for good quality. However if that's what you got, then that's fine for now

Some Betta's are just extremely picky eaters, as I pointed out, all of mine are now haha.

I don't know if you were aware or not (sorry if you are!) that freeze-dried anything is bad for you boy. Yes, it's high in protein but it promotes constipation in your boy which might be part of why he's not eating. Same goes for the flakes. However you can feed the Freeze-Dried BW's as a treat each week, maybe 2-3 worms. but no more than that unless you risk constipation and bloating.

I know it might not be feasible right now but I really do suggest you get New Life Spectrum or Omega One for him. The other brands of food, I can almost guarantee all of them have some sort of filler in the first three ingredients which is what you mainly look at for Betta food.

Fillers are anything like wheat's, grains and other corns. Those aren't good for Betta's, so the things we look for are Whole Salmon, Krill, Shrimp, Fish, all that stuff is good. And in the first three ingredients as well.

So just something to think about
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #7 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Hmm yeah, Tetra's not know for good quality. However if that's what you got, then that's fine for now

Some Betta's are just extremely picky eaters, as I pointed out, all of mine are now haha.

I don't know if you were aware or not (sorry if you are!) that freeze-dried anything is bad for you boy. Yes, it's high in protein but it promotes constipation in your boy which might be part of why he's not eating. Same goes for the flakes. However you can feed the Freeze-Dried BW's as a treat each week, maybe 2-3 worms. but no more than that unless you risk constipation and bloating.

I know it might not be feasible right now but I really do suggest you get New Life Spectrum or Omega One for him. The other brands of food, I can almost guarantee all of them have some sort of filler in the first three ingredients which is what you mainly look at for Betta food.

Fillers are anything like wheat's, grains and other corns. Those aren't good for Betta's, so the things we look for are Whole Salmon, Krill, Shrimp, Fish, all that stuff is good. And in the first three ingredients as well.

So just something to think about
Well I realize the Aqueon and Tetra brands arent that good but they were my only options when I went to my local pet store. I know New Life Spectrum is good! But I haven't been able to find it ANYWHERE! But I know I've seen Omega One at one of the pet stores I go to so I might just go ahead and buy it just to have and try out. You can never have enough food! Ha! I know about the freeze dried bloodworms. I only give him maybe two if that. He doesnt really like them too much either way.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay cool! That's fantastic, yeah I figured I'd say it anyway just in case that you didn't know ^^

I have so much food from over the last year just collecting stuff. Much of it I don't use any more so I'll be giving it to my mom to use for her goldfish pond lol.

Well anyway, I hope he eats some more soon and just watch out for any bloating is all, I don't remember if Giants are prone to any constipation like DT's are. In any case, good luck and feel free to update!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #9 
EdgyWolf

Quote:
Okay cool! That's fantastic, yeah I figured I'd say it anyway just in case that you didn't know ^^

I have so much food from over the last year just collecting stuff. Much of it I don't use any more so I'll be giving it to my mom to use for her goldfish pond lol.

Well anyway, I hope he eats some more soon and just watch out for any bloating is all, I don't remember if Giants are prone to any constipation like DT's are. In any case, good luck and feel free to update!
I will definitely update here within the next day or two. I'll probably go out and see if I can find Omega One pellets today. There JUST MIGHT be some New Life Spectrum stuff at my Pet Supermarket so crossing my fingers and hoping! Thanks for the advice! Buckshot will be also getting a bigger home soon. He's been living in something temporary for now cuz my tank had somehow cracked the other day.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no! That always stinks about tanks cracking! I'm just waiting for my 33 gallon to come crashing down That tank was also used from my University that a friend rescued and saved for me. I really should have re-siliconed it before I set it up....well it's been holding 5 months now no problems. Crossing my fingers too!

So NLS is going to be more expensive, but it's also 3 times bigger than the Omega One container. my NLS was about 6-7 dollars and my Omega was 3 dollars and change.