Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #1 
Seki

Spitting out food/vomiting?

I have posted about my new veiltail before. I had thought he was improving and "out of the woods", so to speak, but today I noticed something new... I had thought Nova was eating, but as it turns out, he doesn't eat. He takes the food, chews it for a while, then spits it back out in pieces. I am worried because this means he isn't getting nutrition... Also, his water is still cloudy all the time, no matter how many water changes I do, and his fins look like they have a touch of fin rot. it nothing else, they are a bit clamped at the tips. Other than that, though, Nova still swims around normally and will occasionally flare if I hold up a mirror for him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4-6 pellets 1x per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1- 50% and 1- 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Untested for the moment, but I can test if need be. Two days ago, everything was perfect when I checked.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins look a bit clamped at the ends and/or perhaps a minor amount of fin rot.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Spitting out food instead of swallowing it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, but I am considering Aq. Salt for the possible fin rot.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Ever since I got him he's not been well. :(
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure. I got him from Petsmart a week ago.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 
Otterfun

no worries, mine did that. turns out the pellet can be too big and they need to chew some off, then spit out while chewing on whatever is in the mouth, then get the pellet and repeat the process. Sometimes, I notice mine purposely "hide" some in the dwarf hairgrass and then retrieve it later. As long as you see poop similar to the color of the pellets (mine is terracotta similar to NLS and OO color), it means they are eating.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #3 
shellieca

I have a male who will gobble up the first few pellets & then play with his food. I know he's had enough when he spits it out, sucks it in, spits it out, sucks it in. Sometimes he finishes the pellet & other times not. I'd be concerned if he did this every time & it appeared he wasn't eating any of it all. I have another male who doesn't like NLS pellets & will spit them out every time but gobbles up the Omega One pellets so I know its not the size since Omega is bigger than NLS.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #4 
Seki

Okay, so this is nothing to be worried about? He wasn't eating a few days ago, but now that he's unclamped a bit more and seems to be doing better, he has been taking pellets. Today was the first day I saw him spitting them out, but I wasn't watching overly closely yesterday since I was late for work.

Could this spitting be what's making the water so daggone cloudy? No matter how many water changes I do, it's always gross and cloudy...
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #5 
LostxinthexMusic

My boyfriend's veiltail did the same thing for the first two weeks he had him. He's probably just getting used to eating different food than he had at the store, or the pellets are too big for him. I wouldn't worry too much, he should stop soon.

ETA: I would bet the spitting is the cause for the cloudiness. Uneaten food in the tank clouds the water, and this is technically uneaten food, so...
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 
Seki

I'm sorry to revive this thread again, but I really need help. Nova still can't keep any food down, and it's been... 6 days, I think? I am worried... he looks a lot thinner than he did when I got him, and he is certainly lethargic... I think it's not a case of him just not liking the food. He'll chew it, then spit it back out ever time. And I know he doesn't eat it later because I remove uneaten food from his tank... Help?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 
LostxinthexMusic

Have you tried using a very sharp knife to cut up the pellets and give them to him in pieces? It may just be that the pellets are too big...
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #8 
Seki

Yes I have crushed the pellets, soaked them, everything it says to try. He is losing weight... :(
Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #9 
Seki

I have been treating his fin rot with AQ. Salt. Could this be the problem? Daily 50% changes but his water is still cloudy and he's not seeming to improve...
Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #10 
Seki

I've still not found any solution and I'm worried I can't find help or answers. This fish is going downhill. He's losing weight, he's lethargic, and his eyes are swollen. I have also noticed what I think is a small white spot near one of his gills? He has been in treatment for fin rot for about 5 days, so I am going to discontinue that and do a 100% water change tonight without any salt. Please, if you guys have ANY suggestions, I really really need the help! I don't want to lose my fish when I haven't even had him for a month!

Can you see the white spot I am talking about? Right by his gill...