Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

How long can you dose Tetracycline orally?

Perseus was a rescue I picked up awhile back he had ammonia sores that seems to be healing up all that is left if you look him is some pinhead red dots. However, he flared at me and I saw his beard was all red (normally black) I have soaked the meds into his food with garlic gard. He isn't healed up yet how long can I keep him on it?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

I really need an answer on this one. I am on day 5 of therapy. I think he is improving but I don't want to stress his kidneys or something.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

Well no answers I decided to keep going since he is much perkier and there seems to be improvement. The box suggests two 4 day cycles if you're dosing the tank. Humans normally do about 10 days. We'll see how he is doing a on day 8.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #4 
Ickbeth

Cool

you should only keep him on it 10 days at most then let him rest with no medication for a few days if the problem continues u can put him back on meds again
Ickbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #5 
NorthernLights

I am not sure tetracycline is what you need to use for this. Warm, clean water and maybe some StressCoat+ or IAL will help a lot with skin issues.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

We've done the clean water route, and Aq salt. The problem is he has tiny pinhead size sores that don't completely heal leaving him subseptible to infections. I think I have waited this out with conservative treatment. I have been reluctant to go to antibiotics. I do see improvement. I may have to switch a different drug to address the pinhead sores externally once his gill beard looks cleared up.