Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

A very quick hard and fast division for you:
- soft: tetras, loaches, danios, anabantoids (gouramis and bettas), cories, some cichlids
- hard: livebearers, hatchetfish, most cichlids

I'm badgering Hallyx to make a sticky because she has enormous brains and knows heaps about hard/soft water and pH issues. :)

When in doubt, check the seriouslyfish database. It lists water hardness requirements for all the fish ever. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #12 
crowntaillove3

Thanks! The water softener is old and hasn't been running for 10+ years, so this weekend or whenever we can make time I'll see if I can have access to soft water!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #13 
crowntaillove3

Here's the thing: my fish obsession says: "You need to separate them based off of their water condition needs!" My voice of reason says: "Fish live in horrible conditions and they live long lives (sometimes). You treat these fish well, and everything is right where it should be except the gH. These fish are fine." Based off of the current self-conflict, the plan has once again changed.

Purchase Fuval U1 Underwater Filter so total filtration capacity= 35 gallons
Have tank inhabitants be 1 dwarf gourami, 5 serpae tetras, 3 sunburst platies, 3 female guppies, 2 golden mystery snails
Do a 50% water change weekly instead of a 33%

Am I crazy?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Welllll....I think so. :p Hear me out.

Yes, fish can live in crappy conditions, but, to trot out and overused but still accurate phrase, it's the difference between surviving and thriving. After all, a betta can survive, sometimes for an extraordinarly long time, in a quart bowl with no heating that is cleaned once a month, whilst being fed goldfish flakes. However, we'd all agree that's no kind of life for the poor thing. Now, I know that's an extreme example, but water hardness is still important.

Soft water had a low mineral content, and soft water fish are designed to cope with that. When in soft water, hardwater fish don't get the minerals they require. The reverse is also true - when in hard water, softwater fish get minerals that they were never designed to absorb. This also effects pH, which effects osmoregulation (how fish absorb stuff).

That's a really basic explanation, but that's why it's important. :) If you do have the capacity to give each fish what it needs, then I would always do so. :) For a much, much better explanation than my garble, have a look at this super good article by Byron on TFK: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #15 
crowntaillove3

Thanks. I still think that I MIGHT keep the fish together... Self conflict is confusing! You never know which side you are on!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #16 
crowntaillove3

Going to Petsmart TODAY! I have some stuff to do around the house first, but I'm almost done! Current plan:
5 serpae tetras
3 female guppies
3 female platties
1 dwarf gourami
2 mystery snails
1 Fluval U1 filter
1 Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #17 
AquaKai

Honestly I think that you are good. Fish are very capable of changing to the type of water as long as it is done slowly. Plus all the fish that you're getting are hardy and are able withstand the 'not perfect conditions.' Unless you're dealing with breeding fish or very sensitive (or wild) fish. But your stocking is pretty decent. Personally I would ditch the mystery snails because they create a BUNCH of bioload. I would do some Corydoras as they are amazing! (If you have sand)
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #18 
crowntaillove3

Thanks! Only like 2 or 3 hours until I leave! And I might put the mystery snails in my 4 gallon...
Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #19 
crowntaillove3

I'm home! I got three female platies; one red wag, one sunburst, and one sunburst mickey mouse. I also got two of the serpae tetras. THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY FEMALE GUPPIES! None of the petsmarts in my area have them currently. They haven't for a couple of months... When they get them in, I'll be the first one to get them! Only 5 more minutes of floating to do!