Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #1 
ChloesMom

Odd Behavior

I am relatively new to bettas. I have had Chloe now for about 3 months. I have her in a 2.5 gallon tank. When the water gets warm she tends to get lazy and wont eat. I keep it about 72 degrees. Two days ago she decided as I was cleaning the lid to her tank that she would commit suicide and jumped. I got her back in her tank and she seemed to be scared, as was to be expected. Yesterday and today she has been darting back and forth in her tank as if she is afraid someone is following her. She has been attacking the plant and her food as if it was going to eat her. I did a water change and no change in her crazy responses. My question is, is this normal behavior?
ChloesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

The water temperature should be at 76-80 degrees. Something must be scaring her.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #3 
ChloesMom

ya I know the water should be warmer, but when it is she becomes very very lazy and wont eat......... I thought something was scaring her too, so I put her in a dark room for awhile and she is still going nuts
Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is she rubbing herself against anything? Could it be something in the water? When was the water changes last?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Hmmm how far was the fall? That could have something to do with it.
It could also be that she feels insecure. Does she have a cave or something like that to hide in? That could help.
I would keep the temp of the water around 78-80 degrees. Usually, they get lethargic when it's lower. I wonder why she acts so strangely with the warmer temp.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I hope she gets back to normal soon!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #6 
ChloesMom

i changed the water yesterday, it had been sitting out with conditioner in it, just like every other time i change it, im not exactly why she is going crazy, she seems to be acting normal now, but when i get close to her she starts to go nuts again, maybe she is still skiddish from the near death experience and me saving her.................. i dunno, thanks for the inputs though
Old 08-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad she's doing better. Maybe she'll settle down now.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #8 
bubs128

she could of got a cut or something when she jumped. The water should be warmer, but that's weird about the laziness thing. That wasn't a very good way to commit suicide though, because Betta fish can breath out of water. Isn't that cool? They can breath in and out of water!
bubs128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #9 
ChloesMom

she has calmed down a ton, except when i walk by her, i think she is still scared of me........ i wonder if she was kept in cold temps at the store and now does very well in cold, which is good cause my house is always cold. thanks again guys for your input