Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #1 
cdouglas93

Question New To Breeding Betta - Already have eggs

I currently have a ten gallon tank filled with a batch of Betta eggs with their daddy diligently taking care of them. They were just laid earlier today. The mother is now back in her own ten gallon tank and I have another tank for the father to go into when the times comes. Atm I have just a regular filter in the tank but I have it off due to not wanting to loose any eggs during the process. Being first time Betta Breeder I would really appreciate any and all advice.

cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do not turn the filter on until they are MUCH bigger. Do you have live foods for them?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
cdouglas93

No I don't. Where can I get that? I have a local pet store not far from me.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

So you bred without having cultures (microworms, bananaworms, bbs) ready... You need those. Do you have live plants in the tank, or could you add some? These will provide single celled foods for the first few days. Do you have a good lfs that sells brine shrimp eggs near you?

Last edited by SeaHorse; 06-02-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Removed comment.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 
cdouglas93

I don't have a real plant but I could get one asap. And I do have a LFS near me that I'm sure would order me some if they don't already have it
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well you need live foods from day one. Get what you can ASAP if you want to be successful.,
Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #7 
trilobite

When they start free swimming give them boiled egg yolk mixed in water unless youve gotten yourself microworms by then.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #8 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
When they start free swimming give them boiled egg yolk mixed in water unless youve gotten yourself microworms by then.
Yep..I used egg yolk and IAL mixed in. You put the size of a pea in a medicine bottle (washed wall), squeezed up between your finger tips and shake it vigorously. Keep it refrigerated and only use a small amount. I make sure it is all tiny specks, and no chucks. They love it and it is loaded with protein--but, you will have to siphon out daily, after they eaten or it rots. It is very good for them and you will notice they grow well with it.

That will get you through until you get a culture. I use Ebay and, have never spent more than 3 dollars. Then, I make my own cultures constantly so I never run out. For 3 bucks I now have 9 batches, 3 of each of BW, MW and WW. I use Q tip and move it slowly around the water. you just have to ensure you keep it moist with just a few drops of water. They multiply big time.

Also, if you go to the frozen section of the LFS, they have Hikari BBS, frozen. I put that in with a few dabs of live worms. The worms attach to the frozen bbs, that is thawed out with some IAL and, then I use a medicine dropper to put in. This way, as they are getting the "live, moving food", they also get the taste of the frozen bbs and, eventually, they will eat that without needing worms in it.

That's my experience, anyway and, I now have 2 good sized batches of fry, growing very well.

Best wishes with the spawn. :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #9 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish4coner View Post
Yep..I used egg yolk and IAL mixed in. You put the size of a pea in a medicine bottle (washed wall), squeezed up between your finger tips and shake it vigorously. Keep it refrigerated and only use a small amount. I make sure it is all tiny specks, and no chucks. They love it and it is loaded with protein--but, you will have to siphon out daily, after they eaten or it rots. It is very good for them and you will notice they grow well with it.

That will get you through until you get a culture. I use Ebay and, have never spent more than 3 dollars. Then, I make my own cultures constantly so I never run out. For 3 bucks I now have 9 batches, 3 of each of BW, MW and WW. I use Q tip and move it slowly around the water. you just have to ensure you keep it moist with just a few drops of water. They multiply big time.

Also, if you go to the frozen section of the LFS, they have Hikari BBS, frozen. I put that in with a few dabs of live worms. The worms attach to the frozen bbs, that is thawed out with some IAL and, then I use a medicine dropper to put in. This way, as they are getting the "live, moving food", they also get the taste of the frozen bbs and, eventually, they will eat that without needing worms in it.

That's my experience, anyway and, I now have 2 good sized batches of fry, growing very well.

Best wishes with the spawn. :)
I just called me LFS and they do have some of the frozen for only a couple bucks which I'm going to pick up in a little while and I can also pick up some yolk as well. Now I've NEVER done any kind of culture so I was wondering if any one can tell me or show me how to do this. Thank you all for your help :D
Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

This should help. If you have any questions about them go ahead and ask them there.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=146745

Tags
10 gallon, betta breading, eggs