Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
Seki

Can I net a male veiltail?

I am trying to beat whatever is making my water cloud and possibly making Nova sick. I have him cupped right now... I did a 100% water change on his tank and scrubbed out the disgusting layer of slime that was inside (it was greyish on the paper towel). I want to put Nova back into the tank, but I don't want to put back in ANY of the water he's currently in. After I acclimate him in the cup... can I net him back into the tank, or will it hurt him? I have not ever netted my bettas before, and I have heard bad things about damaged fins and stressed fish...
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #2 
Saphira101

I net my bettas all the time without doing any harm. He'll be fine. :)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #3 
peachii

You can but i would make sure it's the softer type net if you have it. A lot of the nets that come in the packages with the tanks are green with bigger holes and rough as can be. Usually the ones you buy seperately are much smaller holes and way softer material.

I know you aren't supposed to but you could cup him in your hand or get him into a soup ladle if you have a rougher net.

Even the rougher nets 'usually' don't hurt the fish but I'm usually paranoid about it to.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #4 
Seki

The net I have was purchased separately. This is the net I have... http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I would imagine he'd be fine, right? Should I sterilize the net first? It was used before on one of my brother's fish when it was sick and he was putting it into a quarantine tank.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #5 
PersonalityUnknown

I would definitely sterilize it first. At the store I work at, we keep our nets in treated water which includes ick and fungus medications. That way we don't spread one thing to another tank.
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #6 
Seki

Hm, alright. I will boil it for a while and go from there, I guess. For now, the betta is just being acclimated.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #7 
peachii

Yeah if it was used on a sick fish less than 2 months ago, I would defiantely clean it first. Even then I'd still clean it just to be sure so you don't spread the funk around.

That net is one of the softest I've seen if it is the same as the one I have and it looks like it is.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #8 
Seki

Oh, it was far more than two months ago. But since I already have water heating, might as well boil it, right? One of these days I'm going to invest in a UV sterilizer... those things are awesomesauce.

The water had a rainbow-like film on top of it... very thick-looking. Any thoughts what that might be?
Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #9 
PersonalityUnknown

rainbow-like film? Maybe somekind of oils?
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote