Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #1 
photochic88

PLEASE HELP! i promise its the last post of the day...

what is wrong with B?
he just lays sideways on the bottom of the tank, and hurrys up to the top for air and then comes back down...
he also looks like he is breathing heavy...

please help?

photochic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #2 
TianTian

1. I know how big that tank is and I KNOW that it's not big enough for a Betta. Period.

2. You don't need to spam the boards with a new thread each time you make an update. Just reply to your first thread you've posted. That's how I've been able to make updates with my Tian-Tian's condition. I'm not trying to troll on you; it's just a simple fact. Overloading the boards does not help.

3. I suspect swim bladder or dropsy. Swim bladder is relatively fixable, given some time, patience and love. If it's dropsy, however, there's not much else you can do. Are his scales sticking out away from his body (kinda like a pinecone)? It looks like it, given the photos. If so, that's dropsy and few Bettas bounce back from that.

I'm sorry I'm not of much help or comfort. Let us know how things go.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #3 
neenjar

That looks like a possible bacterial infection under the gil plate. I agree that tank is not large enough to house a betta as a home. It would make a fine med tank or temporary house for water changes. he is quite beautiful.

I hope he pulls though.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #4 
photochic88

:(

well, when i came home from work he was gone. i had this feeling he would pass. he didnt look good. i got medicine for him and a new home for him today, and he just didnt make it. i think its was dropsy. from what i have read swim bladder is when they are at the top of the tank.

also, im new to the forum, and i dont know how it works completly. so me posting all that in such a frantic state.... im sorry.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #5 
dr2b

Sorry to hear about B...RIP B.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by photochic88 View Post

also, im new to the forum, and i dont know how it works completly. so me posting all that in such a frantic state.... im sorry.

Don't worry about all the posts. We know you were worried about your fish. I'm so sorry you lost him. RIP B.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #7 
Jynx

i'd say- you have the new tank- run that for a few days so the water gets aged- don't use your tiny thing anymore except maybe as a hold when you change the water in the bigger tank.
for your next fish don't get a light one- it's harder to tell that the light ones are healthy because so many probs make the fish pale- choose a nice dark blue, purple, red, or steel fish. He should be nice and smooth with clear eyes- he should move around in the cup and not just lie at the bottom limp- but should also not be freaking out twitching. It's crucial to start off with a healthy fish!
sorry you're having such a hard time with your fish!
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

That is good advice, Jynx, on what to look for when choosing a betta. A bubblenest in the cup is a good thing to look for too, but not necessary.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #9 
photochic88

thank you guys, i might walk up to petco to have them test the water... although they might be closed.... but i might run to walmart and buy a plant, so i can bury him in that and always have a memory of him.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #10 
TianTian

Sorry to hear the news! *hugs* Hope everything goes better for you from now on!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote