Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 
Rana

End-of-Life Care?

My poor Jude has been doing worse and worse, to the point where I honestly thought he was dead this morning until he reacted to the fish net. He doesn't seem to really care about coming up for air (Stayed in the same place on the bottom for nearly a whole day), so I lowered the water level in his tank to about 3" (maybe 1.5g volume) and removed everything but one big bushy plant, which should hopefully provide enough support for him to at least breathe.

He's not eating- I've tried Omega flakes, NLS pellets and even thawed bloodworms, all of which he has no interest in. The last time I know he ate was over a week ago, since then he either picks at it or ignores it completely. His scales are slightly raised, but he's not bloated at all- the opposite actually, he looks emaciated.

I know his time is almost at an end, so really I'm just wondering how I can make him comfortable. The heater is keeping his water at about 81*, I've got a filter running slowly on the other side of the divider just to keep the water fresh, and like I said I lowered the water level and moved his plant to provide ample hammock space. I'll keep offering food every day and have the lights dim, but is there anything else I can do?

Here's a picture from earlier today:
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #2 
tngirl92

I think you're doing all the right things. Jude is lucky to have such a devoted and caring fish parent and I think he is as comfortable as he can possibly be. If you choose to consider it, euthanasia is a humane option for your guy and there are members here who can advise on that. Otherwise, I think what you're doing is exactly right.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #3 
Rana

Thank you for your kind words. I've been keeping a close eye on him, but the past few days he's just been laying on the gravel with only his gills moving. I think I'm going to have to put him down, as hard a decision as that is. I just don't want him to be suffering any more. :c

Hopefully my mom will pick up some clove oil tonight, and I already have permission from my landlords to bury him out in the yard. From what I can tell ice water is the fastest, and if he's already asleep from the oil it should be totally painless.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 
Crowntails

I'm so sorry about the news :( He was lucky to have such a devoted fish owner like you.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #5 
Viva

So sorry :( How old is Jude? I'm sure he lived a great life and you are doing all the right things for him, even in his end.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #6 
Rana

Thanks everyone, it makes me feel better knowing there are other people who get the 'not just a fish' mentality. I had really hoped he would go quickly once I realized he was only getting worse, but he's too much of a stubborn old man I guess.

I'd only had him for about two years, but thanks to my school being states away he had to endure seven 4-hr car trips, which combined with the water parameter changes I can only imagine stressed him out and shortened his lifespan.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #7 
Rana

Well, Jude is done suffering now. I'm going to miss seeing his grumpy face but now he can rest.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #8 
cheylillymama

SIP Jude.
:(
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #9 
colouratura

It's sad to loose an animal friend whether they are of fins, feathers or fur.
Good of you to free him of suffering. Not the easy choice but puts the interest of our little friend first instead of our own.

Hugs.
colouratura is offline   Reply With Quote