Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #1 
javert

Is this Platy pregnant?

Some time ago I acquired 4 platys for my 10 gal tank to get along with Memín (my red male veiltail). After the first flare and some ocasional chases, the platies finally got confortable and wander around the whole tank and I guess Memín got some some partners to keep him entertained. Anyway, I discovered 4 platy fry during a water change and another one in the next change, probably from the same brood, and are doing fine. I assume Memín feasted on the rest.

I want to properly raise at least one brood of Platies. I noted a Mickey Mouse female getting a little fat so I decided to buy a breeder box and put her in it. So far she hasn't given birth to any fry and she seems stressed to be confined in such a small place while her mates get to be in the whole tank. "What did I do to deserve this?" she seems to ask. The answer is obvious.

I don't have any experience with platies so I may be misjudging. Is she close to giving birth or did I rush too soon? Do I return her to the tank or is she able to stay in the breeder box for a few days?

Here are the photos:
Attached Images

javert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
Jexx

return her to the tank right away. being in a breeding box can cause her to miscarry from the stress. you are better to let her give birth in the main tank and remove the fry after they are born. just make sure there are a lot of plants for the fry to hide in.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #3 
javert

I have just returned here to the tank. She is quite active reexploring the surroundings, hope she is okay. Thanks for the advice.
javert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #4 
Jexx

no problem. I am sure she is ok now that she is back in her home :)
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #5 
Fabi

Dwarf Gourami problem

hi
Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote