Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

In f1 you won't really get anything... At best you will have combtails. Breed into f2 and you will start to see more web reduction, hmpk coming back, and ee may or may not start to come back. Breed into f3 and you should start to get some hmpkctee with weak form, and you can tweak from there.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 Matt

There should be more long fins in F1 since they are said to be dominant, but IME this isn't always true. You will probably get uneven web reduction in F1 - whether long or short finned. Take short fin siblings with web reduction (however terrible they may look) and also preferably one with rather big pectorals. F2 should give you better looking CTPK - don't breed the ones with curved (downwards) bottom line anal (long fin trait). Look for an anal that is fairly straight (bottom line) or cruved inwards/upwards also with big pectorals. Keep breeding these and you should achieve your goal (if lucky) in 3 generations. But don't get discouraged if it takes you longer.

Try to get as many fry survive to adult. Cull (if you have to) at a much later age, after you can see their form. You will need as many of their genetics as possible thus giving you more choices to work with.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #13 
Hail0788

Thank y'all so much for all the info. I'll most likely breed my dragons first to get a feel for breeding and then I'll start working on getting my CTPK'S.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #14 
Gallium

This helped me as well. I'm going to try for green/purple wash CTHMPK coppers.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote