Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #1 
AdiApta

Question Should I be concerned over this spot? (pictures)

Hi.

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) .5 gal *
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? Freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? Set up on August 2, 2009
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) One Male Halfmoon Betta
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? No
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? Room temp 73F *
7. What make/model filter are you using? None *
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? No
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Yes, indirect/filtered sun light
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? This morning, August 4, 2009, 1/2 water was exchanged.
11. How often do you perform water changes? I will be changing water every other day in the .5 gal tank. *
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? I alternate everother day feedings of small amounts of Betta Flake Food or Frozen Blood Worms.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? No additional lighting is being used.
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? After taking photos of my new Betta I noticed a discoloration in one area of the body. It doesn't quite look like Ick to me (I need someone to identify). I would like the opinions of others to determine if the area needs medical care, and if so, what care is needed.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I do not have a testing kit at this time. *
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? I do not have a testing kit at this time. *
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? Current purchase of a Betta on August 2, 2009 and all the Bettas were in good shape.
*I just bought my Betta. I have already purchased a 2.5 gal tank, heater, filter, water conditioner, kit supplies... etc. I am waiting for their delivery.

After taking photos of my new Betta I noticed a discoloration in one area of the body. It doesn't quite look like Ick to me (I need someone to identify). I would like the opinions of others to determine if the area needs medical care, and if so, what care is needed. The photos are of the same fish on the same day (Aug 4, 2009) taken by me. I cannot identify it as a disease and I do not know if it's just a tear in the scale. Please help me. Thank you!

AdiApta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #2 
doggyhog

It doesn't look like much to me.

It could possibly be Velvet. I have a walmart rescue who has velvet right now. It doesn't seem to be very serious on yours. I would put some aquarium salt in his tank.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #3 
neenjar

It looks like a damaged scale. It it not serious enough to worry hard about, but I would certainly give him some salt baths and water change every other day. Keep the water clean and some salt and he should be fine.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I once had a female who got a spot like that. It later turned out to be a bacterial infection. I also agree with neenjar: dmamaged scale. I think mine got the infection because it started as a damaged scale and then got an infection. Just do as neenjar said.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks to me like he may have bumped himself on something, a decoration or plastic plant. I agree with neenjar.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #6 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I once had a female who got a spot like that. It later turned out to be a bacterial infection.
It certainly could turn into that if left untended. Clean water and salt should hopefully be enough!

He is a beautiful betta!
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #7 
AdiApta

Thank you for your help. I will buy aquarium salt for him. :)
AdiApta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with him. He's beautiful!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #9 
Scienceluvr8

Yup, my halfmoon had the same thing, I just kept the water clean, and he has healed fine!
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Clean water definitely helps to speed the healing process.