Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #1 
Riverotter

New bettas, and a rescue

Over the weekend, we had to go to town, so of course we stopped at the pet store. We are always looking at and for female bettas - we love the girls - and we found the prettiest little white girl, who I have yet to get a decent picture of :( She's in quarantine and doing great so far.
They keep the "fancy" bettas in a different section and naturally, we looked there and ... they still had him. Him being a HMPK who had caught my eye last week. I don't normally prefer the plakats, and he's not even my favorite color, but for some reason I just fell in love with the little guy and wanted him instantly.
But we've had the worst luck with bettas from that place. Half of them die before a week is out, all the same disease. Not just here, in the store too, and with other folks. The fish manager was complaining about it, and I hope they lodge a complaint with their supplier.
Anyway, even though they will replace them, I knew I couldn't stay detached through the quarantine period and I didn't want the heartbreak, so I left him, telling myself that if he was there next time I came, I'd get him. We don't usually go to town every week, but this time, we did, and he was there, so now he's home, and I rearranged things so he could be my desk buddy.

The little jar to the side is a snail hatchery. The bowl is a nice, big 4G

And, with his first week in QT over, and still in glowing good health, the betta we picked up there last week, now named DayGlo;

Then, I remembered that I needed dog food, so ran in to the super walmart. The kids came with, and hubby stayed in the car. And of course, we had to look at the bettas.
They had just got some in and this one blue VT was really putting on a show! He had a huge bubble nest and was displaying under it, so I picked up his cup and there was this poor little CT boy cowering in there!!
To make a long story short, they both came home with me, the CT was free.
We got a bottle of distilled water, ran out to the car and for once I blessed that my hubby keeps it such a wreck as I searched it for a container. I found a little water bottle, cut the top off, cursed as I realized the distilled water was icy-cold and tipped the little fellow in with some water from the cup, leaving them both with barely enough to swim around.

He lay down at the bottom of the bottle and I thought that at least he'd die in peace.

But it's an hour's drive home and before the end he had perked up. When we got home I quickly shuffled some things around as I was not expecting to come home with 3 males and here's a picture of him acclimating still in his little cut away water bottle;

And here's a picture of him now, 3 days later. I slowly filled the gallon jar as I was sure he could still get to the surface with barely any tail.
It's full now and he's doing great! All my new pictures of him blur as he's in constant motion.

His cupmate is also well, attacks the siphon when I clean his tank, but I can not get a good picture of him. Yet ;)
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #2 
registereduser

Let me get this straight......you saw the blue VT in a cup and then discovered a crowntail in the same cup?
So you bought one and got one free cuz they were in the same cup? WOOT!
It's too bad they had to share a cup but hey, they are both home now and you got a free one from Wally World!

The PK is beautiful and the blue one is so pretty, and that crowntail is one lucky little guy!

PS: I think the blue one is technically called a lavender :)
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #3 
Briz

Distilled water is actually very bad for Bettas, please try to refrain from using it unless there is no other option.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No, you can use distilled water but keep in mind it has no minerals that fish get from the water, just like we do.

So if it comes down to it, mix the distilled with tap or spring mineral water, that would be fine to use.

Also that PK is adorable! Lovely copper coloring
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #5 
Riverotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Let me get this straight......you saw the blue VT in a cup and then discovered a crowntail in the same cup?
So you bought one and got one free cuz they were in the same cup? WOOT!
It's too bad they had to share a cup but hey, they are both home now and you got a free one from Wally World!

The PK is beautiful and the blue one is so pretty, and that crowntail is one lucky little guy!

PS: I think the blue one is technically called a lavender :)
Yup, that's what happened! I'm really glad I spotted him. I think he'd have been dead in another hour.
I looked to see if there was an empty cup - y'know, like if someone had dumped him in there to see if they'd fight or something - but there was nothing, and naturally no one anywhere around. Not that I was terribly inclined to find an employee, after I reamed one out once before for taking dirty cups and chucking them in the trash, fish and all. I really think that whoever was unpacking them did it.

The lavender (and thanks, I wanted to ask if that color had a name ) is actually a Petco betta who has survived a week in QT. They've been getting all sickly ones in, and this one was a replacement for one who died. It's bad enough I won't name them before the week is out.

I can NOT get a good picture of the blue, I'll try again this afternoon. He is a rich, royal blue with hints of both green and purple and a bit of red in his tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz View Post
Distilled water is actually very bad for Bettas, please try to refrain from using it unless there is no other option.
Yes, it's "dead" water without enough oxygen dissolved in it. I just snatched the first thing that wasn't "enhanced" with minerals or something.
The water he's in now is cycled, and he had some StressCoat and some leaf extract in it.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #6 
Riverotter

He does look kind of coppery in that pic. I am still SO bad at taking fish pictures. He is actually the softest, powderiest shade of whitish, purplish blue. I'm going to try to get better pics when the light changes this afternoon.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Distiller water lacks the minerals that are needed... Remember at fish get many minerals from the water they are in and not food (though they do get some from food). Distiller is fine for a day but I certainly would never do it permanently.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Distiller water lacks the minerals that are needed... Remember at fish get many minerals from the water they are in and not food (though they do get some from food). Distiller is fine for a day but I certainly would never do it permanently.
Yup, I think that was covered already Matt lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #9 
justmel

Quick thinking grabbing that old bottled water to separate the two boys as quickly as you could! Great recover on the sweet little CT and your other boys are beautiful too!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #10 
veilmist

I love the CT and they all look awesome! Congrats on the new boys and I'm so happy they are doing well!
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote