Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #1 
Senshine

Betta sorority filtration.

I am setting up a 29 gallon (30"x12"x18") sorority. I'm not sure how many females I will end up with (at least 10) and I want to have a group of schooling fish, some corys and one bristlenose pleco.
Which filter would be the best?
I was thinking an aqua clear 50, or the Fluval C3 but I'm open to other options of course
Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I love aquaclear... It's my absolute favorite brand. They are very customizable and provide lots of biological filtration.

Your tank would be a bit overstocked... Honestly I would drop the Pleco (super messy and not very interesting). The oversized filter, along with plants and proper water changes, should handle everything.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I can tell you from experience that the schooling fish might not work out. In my 33 sorority I had 9 girls at the time with 7 Neon Tetras. While I had no problems of fin nipping I had found out that my Neons were sparring with each other which then caused stress on my girls who started to nip each other some more. I got rid of the Neons and my girls couldn't be happier!

The Cory's however are a great idea and I love my little Dwarf Cory's (Corydoras Habrosus) and even one of my Betta's; Little Blue thinks she's a cory. lol And I do have a BN Pleco as well who will be going soon.

My Pleco has actually got rather aggressive when it comes to feeding time and of course the girls try to steal her food and she whacks them with her fins and "bites" at the cory's who come too close. So just make sure you suppliment the Pleco's diet with some blanched veggie often as well as the algae wafers and whatnots.

But as far as the filters go with the AquaClear 50 since it's actually rated just for 50. I'm always iffy when filters are rated x-x like the Fluval is 20-50, it's not that it wouldn't do a good job, it just doesn't sit right with me lol. I'm weird I know. But I know the AquaClear is great, especially with it being adjustable as well. But most of the time having a strong filter in a sorority is good because it can help break up fights and chasing when it comes down to it
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #4 
Senshine

I love aqua clears too and I've only ever used them or sponge filters in my tanks haha. I was just wondering about the C3's since they are on sale for 50% off right now.
If the girls will be happier with no school, then no school it will be! They are my main focus so everything will be for them.
The BN pleco I've had since he was 1cm long (now 2") so he is a for-sure kind of thing unless he proves to be too aggressive then I will find him a new home.
Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, the BN is fine then. And the good thing about having no school is that you can have more girls! yayyyyyyyaaya lol

So it depends on the Cory's you get but you could certainly go up to 15 girls in that tank or more, but again depends on the cory's you want. Some have more of a bio-load than others.

I totally understand the sale thing but I, personally, would rather get something that I know works versus something that might be on sale. Although I can't say I haven't missed a sale like that before lol.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #6 
Deanna01

I have an Aquaclear 50 on my 20 long, and I absolutely love it. It's very quiet and does a great job. I figure that I want a minimum of twice the filtration capacity, and I would likely put an Aquaclear 70 on what you're considering: It's only $10 more at Amazon. It may be overkill, but my fish are doing great with the extra filtration.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote