Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #11 
crowntaillove3

I try not to use the blocks if I don't have to; I was gone for three days over the weekend and I just didn't feed them. They are fine.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrox11 View Post
Okay, so I have a question: my parents are divorced and I'm only with my fish Sunday through Wednesday. Would it be better to just not feed them Thursday through Saturday EVERY WEEK rather than try to set up an automatic feeder?
I guess the best way to decide would be to look at each option. You know that he can survive Thu-Sat without being fed. However, he will probably not be happy about it. At the same time, you know that the automatic feeder does have a chance of malfunctioning. If it were to malfunction in a way that dumped all the pellets into his tank at once the water quality would suffer greatly (like a potential ammonia spike that could kill him or poison him). So, that's it laid out before you.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #13 
ktmrox11

While I see your point, there is literally NO chance of it malfunctioning in that way- even if the whole lid fell off, only a small portion of the food would fall in. I'm guessing my best option is to set up the vacation feeder and then if it stops working, its okay because they can survive a few days without food.
ktmrox11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #14 
shellieca
Reference Team

There have been reports of the auto feeder over feeding & people come home to sick or dead fish. While the chances of all of the food being dumped all at once are slim. Does the risk outweigh the benefit only the fishkeeper can decide that.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #15 
Backlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckx View Post
Hello

I am new to the board and have been thinking about getting a pet for my son. We like the betta's everytime we goto the petstore so I wanted to do a little research before getting one.. I am curious though, what do you all do for your fish when you leave for vacation?

edit: i noticed in alot of the users pictures most of you do not put gravel/rocks in the tank. is this a rule of thumb for bettas or just easier to clean the tank?
Getting back to the OP original question....

Hi Teckx, and welcome to the board..

How long is the vacation going to be??

As all of the others have suggested, if your vacation is only going to be a few days to a week, then he (or she) should be OK without being fed.. Any longer than a week, then you will need to have someone drop in and check him (or her) out, and feed him..

On the few occasions that I have been away on vacation or for work, I usually have a family member drop by every other day, and check my fish, and also feed them.. Before I go, I will have that family member come over, and I will show and explain to them what to check, and also what and how much I would like them to feed, and I only have them feed my fish ONCE a day..

I also leave a written note on each tank, confirming my instructions..
With my Betta's I also include a warning that they are greedy, and that they will literally eat themselves to death, so do not overfeed them, no matter how much they beg....
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #16 
teckx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
Getting back to the OP original question....

Hi Teckx, and welcome to the board..

How long is the vacation going to be??

As all of the others have suggested, if your vacation is only going to be a few days to a week, then he (or she) should be OK without being fed.. Any longer than a week, then you will need to have someone drop in and check him (or her) out, and feed him..

On the few occasions that I have been away on vacation or for work, I usually have a family member drop by every other day, and check my fish, and also feed them.. Before I go, I will have that family member come over, and I will show and explain to them what to check, and also what and how much I would like them to feed, and I only have them feed my fish ONCE a day..

I also leave a written note on each tank, confirming my instructions..
With my Betta's I also include a warning that they are greedy, and that they will literally eat themselves to death, so do not overfeed them, no matter how much they beg....
Hello

I will be gone for 7 days.. so i think ill just let the fishy fast for a week it sounds like he will be okay.
thanks all for the information.. now i just need to figure out how to control water levels etc and how to prep a tank then im off to the pet store to get a fishy
teckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

A glass top will go a long way to preventing evaporation - I highly recommend one.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #18 
shellieca
Reference Team

Some evaporation won't hurt anything. My 5.5g loses about an 1" or more each week & I never top it off. It doesn't cause any issues that I've seen.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote