Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #1 
feralhound

100% water changes advise (small tank + velvet)

I'm sorry if I missed this anywhere else, but I need advise on 100% water changes- I'm just really afraid I'll shock my bettas when adding them to the new water.

I let the new water from the tap set in a bucket so it becomes room temperature and decholinate it, and I have containers I put them in seperateley as I clean out their tank- do I add a little bit of the new water with the old water while their in their containers before I transfer them over to the tank? Also do I just take the bettas out of the container completely before adding them to the tank, without any of the water from the containers? Sorry if any of this is confusing.

I recently obtained two bettas (male and female) who were going to be fried/flushed, they are currently in one of those horrible little divider tanks that can't be more than 1/4 gallon. I had bought a 5 gallon tank only to find out it has a leak- and haven't had time this weekend to get another tank for the other Betta (since I thought I was only getting one betta). I'm going to get my critter keeper from my parent's house as a temporary home while I get my 5 gallon tank situation fixed, and hopefully find a new tank for the second betta.
The male has velvet, and I've been treating him to the best of my abilities (I don't have a heater small enough for the stupid little tanks, but I did manage to chip up jungle tablets) and I've done I would probably say a 50% and 80% water change in the past two days. Not sure how different my city water propperties are from the previous owner's water (hardness wise, at lease).

Also, I have Prime conditioner for my other tank and these guys came with Topfin Betta Water conditioner- which one would be the better for these guys, or does it not matter?

-nervous new Betta owner
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #2 
xxRho

For the 100% water change treat it as if you are adding a fish to an aquarium for the first time.

1. Float the fish in the tank for 15min; this is to adjust the fish to the water temperature.
2. Add some of the aquarium water to the fish and leave for another 15min - DO NOT add the fish to the aquarium. This is to acclimate the fish to the water parameters.
3. If you are a nervous ninny like I am you can repeat step 2
4. Remove the fish gently and place in the aquarium without adding any of the water the fish was in. This way the contaminated water isn't added to the aquarium.

Note: some people leave it for as little as 10 or as much as 30min between steps but I think it depends on how long the fish has been out of the tank/how close the water temp is to the new water.

As for the disease part I haven't had much experience with sick bettas but I have heard of various treatment methods using medicine/home remedies directly added to the tank or in a separate "hospital" tank/container.
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #3 
xxRho

Also as a heads up (this is assuming the critter keeper is plastic), plastic is notoriously hard to disinfect if a fish that has been sick is housed in it due to plastic having a slightly "absorbent" nature if that makes sense?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #4 
feralhound

Yes, that does, thank you very much!
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #5 
xxRho

Cool. I hope they feel better soon =]

Tags
100%, water changes