Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #161 
NoviceBettaKeeper98

this is a fantastic guide! As a new betta owner, I wasn't sure what to do! Thanks again!!
NoviceBettaKeeper98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #162 
ddicioccio

Thank You for the depth ( No Pun intended ) of that information. I as a newbie think I'm changing the water too often.
ddicioccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #163 
Betta Bonnie

Betta Bonnie

This was very good info for me a new Betta owner. I set up my 2 2.5 gallon tanks last Thursday on Friday after work I bought 2 Bettas at Petco. My tanks each have a filter Tetra Whisper 3i, each have a slim heater some decor and a masamo moss ball. I have two larger cycled aquariums so I used 2 cups of small smooth river rocks from my 18 gallon Community tank. I have the API master test kits and on Sunday and again today my amonia was 1, I did 50% water changes on Sun and today. Is this normal to acumulate this much Amonia in 2 days?
Betta Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #164 
ao
TFK Moderator

I thought those filter insets had activated carbon in them. So I really have no idea why the anmonia will be 1. What is coming out from your tap water...? when in doubt, I recommend to do a 100% water change :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #165 
Betta Bonnie

My tap water is .25
Betta Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #166 
countyrd419

Thank you very much Oldfishlady. Rusty's tank is due for a water change and your post is just what I was looking for as a beginner betta fish owner. Is there such thing as a vacuum tank cleaner? Let me check PetSmart to see what they have.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #167 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by countyrd419 View Post
Thank you very much Oldfishlady. Rusty's tank is due for a water change and your post is just what I was looking for as a beginner betta fish owner. Is there such thing as a vacuum tank cleaner? Let me check PetSmart to see what they have.
Welcome to the world of betta keeping!!! When cleaning out gravel, the most used item is a gravel syphon. PetSmart calls it a gravel vacuum. It uses a combination of air pressure and gravity to clean out the nasty poop and left over food from your fish. My favorite type includes a hand-pump to increase this. PetSmart sells a store-brand syphon that I use.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #168 
countyrd419

Thank you. Hadoken Kitty. Just saw the picture of the vacuum. I will get either tomorrow or Wednesday.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #169 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by countyrd419 View Post
Thank you. Hadoken Kitty. Just saw the picture of the vacuum. I will get either tomorrow or Wednesday.
Not a problem! Good luck with your new buddy! (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #170 
chicklette

I need some advice. I have a male beta in a 2.5 gallon heated and filtered tank. There aren't any live plants in it. How often and what percentage of his water should I change. Every time I test the water, 4 readings are safe, but the water is hard. I live in a rural area. PLEASE, CAN ANYONE OFFER THEIR OPINION?
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote