Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #1 
1CrownTail

Bloat?

I seriously need help! I'm pretty sure he's got SBD/Bloat and it's not improving.

I've had SpikesAlot for just over a week, started cycling his tank before I got him (started it with healthy tank water from my Glofish 10g). When I brought him home there was still an uneaten pellet in his cup. He didn't eat for 2 days after I put him in his new tank - I assumed he was getting used to him new home. On the third day he ate 2 pellets and a freeze dried bloodworm. The next day he ate 2 pellets and had a bowel movement - VERY long (at least 3 inches) and the first inch or so was brown, the rest was white. The day after I noticed his tummy bloating, he started hiding a lot and became lethargic. No more bubble nests, just alternating between hiding and resting at the water line. I read through a lot of threads here about bloating, dropsy and such. He was not pineconed, so I din't think it was dropsy, but this morning the one side that is more bloated is pineconed and red. He has also developed a black lining on the underside of his gills. I'm not sure I'm doing this right!!

Yesterday I did a 1/3 water change (1 gallon) and replaced the water with 1 gallon water with 4 tsp Epsom salt and the regular amount of Prime. I'm about to do another water change with the same formula because he isn't improving, actually seems more lethargic. I have hesitated putting him in a QT because I have no way to heat it, and all I have are flower vases. (I work a LOT and have only one or two opportunities a week go all the way to LPS) Please help!

If it matters - his tank is planted with bacopa c., a Java fern and an Amazon sword.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 f
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food pellets. I tried Omega One Betta Buffet flakes but he wasn't interested in them. I threw out the freeze dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x/day, total of 3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 3-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? YES If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH: 7.0 (it was over 7.6 so I added 3 drops of API ph down)
Hardness: very soft
Alkalinity: alkaline (my API kit doesn't test this - kit suggestions welcome!)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated tummy, this morning one side seems pineconed and now there's also a black lining under his gills.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is lethargic and hides a lot, but will still swim away quickly when I try to take his picture
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1/3 water change, new water has 4 tsp epsom salt and Prime
Does your fish have any history of being ill? too new to know
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him a little over a week, I'm guessing he's a young adult
Attached Images

1CrownTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

Can't see the pictures too well, but maybe he was 'pineconed' to begin with. If not, then probably overfed. I would fast him. Overfeeding can temporarily put some adult fish in SBD mode. Maybe others can chime in on what they think. Anyway, good luck 1CrownTail.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Can't see the pictures too well, but maybe he was 'pineconed' to begin with. If not, then probably overfed. I would fast him. Overfeeding can temporarily put some adult fish in SBD mode. Maybe others can chime in on what they think. Anyway, good luck 1CrownTail.
No he's not overfed with 3 pellets. Heck, some of my boy's eat up to 8 pellets of NLS lol

I'm not sure here but it's looking more like internal parasites in which, keep going with the Epsom salt. Use 3 teaspoons per gallon and change his water everyday to get rid of any parasites that are expelled and any waste. I can't say too much about that reddened area though. But it's not SBD.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 
1CrownTail

Thanks for the replies, lilnaugrim and whatsupyall. I've done water changes daily and he is a little bit perkier, but doesn't look any better. It also seems like his head and (neck?) have gone tan/brownish,too.

I went to my local big box pet supply store and they told me the opposite of everything I've read here. Now I'm totally confused, thinking maybe I should have bought the Melafix, but it seemed while I was there they they weren't so Smart about my Pet.

Anyone out there that can tell me what's going on??
Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #5 
NorthernLights

Don't bother with Melafix. The -fix meds have tea tree oil in them, which can coat the labyrinth organ of a betta and kill them.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

The white poop and lethargy would say parasites. You could try API General Cure. Although I like Hikari Prazpro better if you can get it. Most people are saying to treat bloat with kanaplex. However, I tried Tetracycline recently on advice from a veterinary fish disease book and I think I am getting good results with it. It's good to feed it for as long as your fish will eat it. Thereafter if they won't take it treat the tank. The way to do this is to soak pellets in a small container in tank water, some garlic extract, and the Tetracycline just a pinch is all I used less than 1/8 teaspoon. I use small condiment container. I refrigerate it and make a new batch every few days. I feed 3-4 pellets soaked in this after they swell up.

I have been watching for all treatments to see how my fish is reacting so as not to overdo it. Once he wouldn't eat the food anymore. I did two baths in tetracycline which means I let him sit in it for about an hour (dosed for one gallon). I was around to watch for any adverse signs. We did another day and half of full time treatment. I let him sit in it overnight and the rest of the day. I change his water this morning he is looking really good. Keeping my fingers crossed. My fish is a very young pretty much a baby.
I tried to take his size into consideration when treating and tried to be careful not to overdose/overexpose him.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 06-04-2013 at 10:52 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #7 
BettaFran

When did you add the pH down, in relation to an increase in your guy's symptoms? I only ask because with your water being soft, there's no buffering going on and the pH could be spiking, esp if using an additive. Maybe try Indian Almond leaves or Addison BettaSpa instead, as a gentler, more natural acidifier (plus other benefits). But also, bettas can actually tolerate a fairly large range of pH and stability is more important than a certain number; even a tiny change is exponentially different for fish and could lead to setup for illness, or difficulty recovering.
Hope your guy gets better soon. Keep us posted.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #8 
1CrownTail

Awesome, BettaFran - I'll get some BettaSpa today and will also be picking up praziquantel and/or metronidazole today. After a lot more reading, I agree with JadaBlu that it's probably parasites.

I'm also switching over to spring water. Turns out that my well water has sediment in it too often and my test kit tells me there are nitrates present.

Thank you!!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #9 
BettaFran

Glad we could help. Keep us posted. BTW, if you use spring water, good idea to still use Prime or whatever dechlorinator (dechloramines, heavy metals, etc)you use...since "spring water" is almost always only filtered tap.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #10 
1CrownTail

Ok all, very sad over here. I went out and bought metronidazole on my lunch, got home and saw a new problem. His swollen side, with the red patch (see pics above if you like) had opened up. great. I realized then that he was too far along to survive, but I tried anyway. He didn't last the night.

I'm so angry at the big box pet store where I got him, mainly because they told me a couple of days ago that if their fish are sick, they treat them with Melafix and cross their fingers. AND that numerous of their last shipment of bettas didn't make it. I'm bringing SirSpikesAlot back to get my money back (yes, I'm within the 14 day window) and give them a piece of my mind - I'll be civil but thorough.

I need to disinfect his tank and hopefully I can keep the plants.

Thanks for helping, everyone.

Tags
urgent