Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

That may have been 1077. He has it in his sig.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #12 
Crowntail Queen

I have to agree with everyone else. The best thing to do is change the water, especially if your treating him with medications. As for the years of a bettas life...i heard they only lived up to about 3 yrs too, but as you can see by my signature, my betta Mr.Fish lived 5 yrs while i had him, not including his age when i got him. He didnt lose his color either but when i found him dead he was really pale instead of the deep red he was, and when i took him out his red color was coming off and the water was turning red and the net had lots of red on it. I never knew it came off them like that, it was weird and sad.
Crowntail Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #13 
spookypug

He has a heater. I changed his water twice this week out of concern for his health. I used to change the water once a week but was advised by a local tropical fish store not to do it so often. I will definitely go back to once a week now.
Boba will be one year old next month. I bought him at a local Petco for my 5 year old daughter and then became so attached to him that he is now on my desk in a 3 gallon tank and have probably spent over $100 on medicine for him.

he was so robust and beautiful and now has faded color- spindly looking fins and just floats vertically. About three months ago I added "ABBA" to my menagerie. He is a blue and red Betta who lives in the tank next to Boba. Up until recently they had bubble making contests every couple of days :)

This morning Boba still looks awful but he did eat. He is hiding in a plant- laying on it like it's a chaise lounge and when I look at him very closely his eyes dart back and forth.

Is it a bad idea to change the water MORE than once a week in a situation like this?
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I am going to feel awful if I can't help Boba
spookypug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #14 
dr2b

You can never change the water enough for bettas... especially when they are sick. I would say you should be changing the water at least once a week.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #15 
spookypug

ok I'll do it again Sunday. Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #16 
RoseyD

I haven't had to deal with any sickness yet - but I could swear I'd read somewhere that you should treat the water with some salt if there's fin rot...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #17 
dr2b

That is true. Many people use aquarium salt anyway as a preventative measure also. But if they do have fin rot it is good to give them salt baths and add some aquarium salt to their water.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #18 
spookypug

I am going to do salt baths today. I am nervous. Boba looks a tiny bit better today. I did a 50% water change this morning- a few days early.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #19 
5green

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
You can never change the water enough for bettas... especially when they are sick. I would say you should be changing the water at least once a week.
agreed 100%
5green is offline   Reply With Quote