Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #1 
DragonFish

A Few Questions from a Betta Newby

Hello all Well I'm no stranger to fish keeping in general, but I suppose I'm new to the world of bettas. I have one whom has been with me for a while, putting up with my learning and stupidity along the way And I must say, I love him to bits
As silly as this may sound, I recently had a dream about bettas....so I'm thinking I need to get another

My current betta is residing in an old 1 gallon I'd had laying around, but soon I plan to upgrade him to a divided ten gallon, the other side being home to the second betta I'll be getting later on. I've been lurking 'round her for days, but I have a couple questions....

-I was thinking about getting a sponge filter, I've heard that they create less flow and are therefore better for bettas. Should I? Comments? Recommendations? What do you guys use?

-Does anyone know of any type of divider that isn't see through? Or a way to modify one to make it less see through? I hear they become stressed if the two can see one another....

-Any other advice/recommendations/ext.? I like hearing from people with experience so I know I'm getting it right

Thanks
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #2 
Maryrox247

First of all, Welcome to the world of Bettas! Lol. I am kind of new too BUT i have read up on them quite a lot before i got mine so chill i know what i am talking about. LOL Anyways, as for the dividers, maybe you could try getting those backrounds for the backs of tanks and cut it up to stick onto each divider. And as for the filter situation... well lets look at the pros and cons. The pros: Low current which means still water which means happy betta! The cons: A sponge filter doesnt filter quite as well as the average mini filter. But those filters have a little bit more current but nothing to be concerned about. I know this because i have a mini in use for my 2.5 gallon tank and not much current going on. So it really is your descision but in this case anything goes!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #3 
rb500

As for the filter, the current does bother them, but in a 10 gallon I wouldn't worry. There will still be plenty of room for them where there is not current, and they will get used to the water flow. As for the divider, I have seen some at petsmart that aren't clear, but white. All you can see on the other side is a little color, so you know it is there, but the fish may not.

P.S. I have had dreams about bettas too!
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #4 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hello all Well I'm no stranger to fish keeping in general, but I suppose I'm new to the world of bettas. I have one whom has been with me for a while, putting up with my learning and stupidity along the way And I must say, I love him to bits
As silly as this may sound, I recently had a dream about bettas....so I'm thinking I need to get another

Haha...I bet a lot of us have had betta dreams. I certainly have .

My current betta is residing in an old 1 gallon I'd had laying around, but soon I plan to upgrade him to a divided ten gallon, the other side being home to the second betta I'll be getting later on. I've been lurking 'round her for days, but I have a couple questions....

-I was thinking about getting a sponge filter, I've heard that they create less flow and are therefore better for bettas. Should I? Comments? Recommendations? What do you guys use?

I haven't personally used them. I guess they work pretty well but can be a little noisy from what I've heard. In my divided tanks I've had a mini-canister filter which works very well but is a pain to clean. I put the intake tube on one side near the heater and the outflow tube on the other. This works very well for heat distribution. I also use a small HOB filter in my 15 gal divided. I do the same thing here - intake tube on one side near the heater, and the outflow goes into the other side. I also use a baffle which works better than I ever imagined it would for keeping the flow down. I can show you pictures if you like. Are you planning on cycling the tank?

-Does anyone know of any type of divider that isn't see through? Or a way to modify one to make it less see through? I hear they become stressed if the two can see one another....

I use plastic craft canvas and make my own dividers. It is kinda see-through though. I'm not trying to persuade you either way, but from my experiences divided tanks are a pain. My dividers always collect algae and I worry about them coming loose. Not to mention all the added quarantine precautions you need to take before putting the fish in there...that's annoying. It's easier in my book to just have separate tanks that way I don't need to QT the fish when I bring them home. Plus, no matter what you do it seems that you need to have the right fish for it to work. I have some fish that will never get along in a divided tank and it stresses them out very badly, and others have been fine. The thing is that you never know when you bring them home.

On the bright side, I have found that a male/female combo seems to work very well. The male gets to show off for the female and the female doesn't seem to care much about the male. Plus, if you use the craft canvas it is only see-through from up close so they can get out of view rather easily.

-Any other advice/recommendations/ext.? I like hearing from people with experience so I know I'm getting it right

Thanks
Hope this helps!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #5 
rb500

Wow, thats a long post lol
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Wow, thanks for all the information everyone!

The sponge filter was just something I'd remembered reading on another forum, if they'd be fine with a standard HOB or something that would be fantastic, I know how those work at least
Yeah...noisy wouldn't be good, it'd be in my room.
Because I already have the one betta and three well established tanks, I'd planned on 'seeding' and monitoring my levels, added the second betta once all appeared to be fairly stable. I would like to get my guy into larger quarters as soon as possible

Hmm....well I don't have a Petsmart here, just an overpriced LPS, so I'm not sure if they'd have those white dividers but I'll look for them. I honestly don't trust myself in making my own I'd read about putting plants around it to break up the line of site too....may try that...
I'd actually like to get two 5 gallon tanks, but don't have the room or money to get two whole new setups....but I had the perfect place for one ten gallon to go, so thats why I was going with divided. I suppose if its too much of a hassle/my bettas have issues I'll have to see if I can put a tank in my parents room or something....

I'm pretty sure my LPS doesn't carry females, I've yet to see any there at least. So unfortunately couldn't put in a female :/
...Unless they hide them somewhere where I just don't notice them.....

Anyway, thanks again
Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

I have 2 divided 10 gallons. I think they are great. I've noticed though that females are much hardier then males. I really haven't had issues with females, but my males have had one thing or another happen to them.
I would do as you said, put plants along the divider, it definitely helps. Also, make sure they have some sort of cave or hiding spot, they love those.
You do have to quarantine for the first couple of weeks, but they are usually fine after they are introduced.
Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #8 
DragonFish

I plan to ask about the females next LPS visit, or I'll probably be calling them at some point to ask if they'll take my Cichlids and I'll ask then. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
Yup, I have a couple small pieces if drift wood that I'm going to arrange with some rocks for a little cave and I plan on some live plants...likely I'll use a couple silk plants to put in front of the divider though
Thanks